Best performance / Mileage?

-

jeeper

Reaction score
Hello All,

I have been somewhat absent lately, at least compared to summertime.

I have sold the SB car and have now decided to build a 440 Dart which is progressing as we speak.

It is likely going to be a more of a cruiser with some zing to it.

The engine is a low-compression 440 with a re-ring kit, ported heads and a Hughes grind 233-230 at .050.

The transmission is getting a 2500 stall and the gears are going to be 4.10's for now. I know they are too low, but that was what was in stock so that is what the car gets until next winter.

This has got me to thinking, has anyone tried a mild cammed BB and still gotten decent performance out of it?

From an academic view, I'm thinking a high torque BB, with mild gears in a relatively lightweight car could be the best of both worlds.

Who here has achieved a relatively low ET and still maintained decent MPG?

I guess I would say low 13's and maybe mid-teens in the MPG department.

How'd you do it and what did you think about it?

Thanks, ROB

Why are you stuck on low compression? The more compression you can get away with on a given octane number the more power you will make on every power stroke and ultimately more efficient. Why not go with closed chamber heads and set up your quench to .040-.055?

I guess, like usual, that my question wasn't clear.

I know that my current build is not the best. I will be the first to say that and the compression would be the first thing to get fixed.

That being said, I need to run what I have for now. I am thinking about the upgrades for later.

I'm wanting something that I can drive daily, get decent (mid-teens) mpg, and still have it get with it when mashed.

I had to make some concessions, due to using what I have on hand.

I may build another car. The process of building them is where the thrill lies for me. I love building cars and I use them to teach my kids.

Thanks, ROB

I would say that low 13's would be reasonable guess on ET. But I'm thinking your mileage will be more 11-12mph given the gear that you are going to run. The low compression also hurts mileage because of what ramcharger mentioned.

Chuck

I am wanting to run it at PIR and Woodburn in July and then I will likely switch to my 2.76's.

I am more curious as to who has achieved a certain level of performance with what combination of parts.

Thanks, ROB

I've never run a big block Mopar only small blocks. All my big block stuff was GM stuff mainly Buick's. The lighter weight of the a-body is on your side as far as performance and mileage.

Your not to far from Champion are you?

Chuck

-
Back