Best place to order a crate stroker motor

-

jdprdise

Reaction score
I just wanted to get some recommendations on what the best places are around to order a crate small block stroker from? I was looking at Indy but I see some pretty negative things about there engines and that they are not the company they used to be.

Thanks!

I looked at MRL because they were an advertiser on FABO. I chose to have him build my motor after reading all the praise about his work and talking to him on the phone. I'm a happy customer. A phone call is free. Give him a ring before you commit to any builder. I'm sure there are others out there that you would be pleased with also but Mike won't high pressure you into doing business with him.

Thanks for all the feedback! I tried calling but I guess I was a little late. I'll catch him tomorrow.

Another vote for Mike @ MRL. Give him a call.

I hear IMM is a good choice if your on the Left Coast.

Is it really just better/smarter to buy a turn key stroker over pulling your engine and doing the stroker kit? I mean price wise. Obviously it's better to have a professional engine builder to assemble/break-in/tune the engine... Because I've read you spend out the same money piecing together a stroker as you do buying a drop in engine. I've always been under the impression stroker kits are cheaper as long as you know how to do it.

What if it's not about the money, and about the experience building it? *mind blows*

Is it really just better/smarter to buy a turn key stroker over pulling your engine and doing the stroker kit? I mean price wise. Obviously it's better to have a professional engine builder to assemble/break-in/tune the engine... Because I've read you spend out the same money piecing together a stroker as you do buying a drop in engine. I've always been under the impression stroker kits are cheaper as long as you know how to do it.

This is why a lot of people on here will say MRL, I'm sure he'd be just as happy building the motor you already have to the specs you want as he will selling you a crate motor.

PoisonDart74 said:
What if it's not about the money, and about the experience building it? *mind blows*

I may be new to A bodies but not new to building something myself. So I DO indeed understand that aspect of it. I was simply wondering if in general you usually spend just as much doing a stroker build at home as you would buying a turn key drop in motor.

IMO there are two issues that could cause the price of a home-built to exceed that of a pro-built stroker.

1. Machine work: Block selection and prep. Does it need cylinders bored/honed? Line bored for crank? Does the block and crank need to be checked and remedied for interference? Do the cylinder heads need porting or stellite valve seats? Before assembly, has the block been checked to insure that all plugs are in place? (On this point, I know of a guy who built an LA but did not check to see if the oil gallery plugs were in place when his block came back from the hot tank. They were not. Consequently, not only did the engine run badly and not develop proper oil pressure, it rather quickly expired. Money and time lost to get a 360 crate engine).

2. Materials: If there is a mongrelization of parts going into the engine, the builder is going to have a better idea of what does not play well together. For a given application, a well-versed builder will know how far to go to get the performance needed at a minimal outlay of funds. e.g. Re-use head bolts or go to ARP studs. In all probability, the pro-builder is going to consistently beat my cost of parts. He may also know of shortcuts that can improve his profit; or cut what he charges me, that I may not be aware of.

Mopar Muscle magazine has run a number of LA motor build-off competitions. Check them out to see if one matches what you are wanting to do. IIRC, Muscle Motors has done well in a number of the competitions. All of the contact information and a lot of the specs of each engine and builder are in the article. Like any sub-contracted work, get a few recent references for similar work to see if these are people with whom you can do business.

When I chose to buy a motor from MRL there were several reasons.

One of them was that I was pressed for time. With several projects going on at the same time I decided to get an engine that was ready to drop in. That way my attention could be focused on other things that needed done.

I liked the idea of purchasing a
dyno'd powertrain that was certain to have the horsepower goal that I wanted.

The expertise of the builder was a factor. I'd built a half dozen engines before (long before the internet) and wasn't confident that I'd chosen the best combination of components.

The wait time for some of the machine shops around here can easily run months. Between ferrying parts around and waiting for results I knew I'd have less headaches with a crated engine from a reliable builder.

The expense was the hard part. Normally I hold onto every penny I can. It took me awhile to convince myself to go ahead with the purchase. Originally I had looked at buying a crate motor from some less expensive vendors through JEGS and SUMMIT. - But after reading responses from some of their former customers I ruled them out. It seemed that it was a crap shoot whether or not I'd have gotten a problem-free motor.

Dustya_383 is selling his in California. Has like 3500 miles on it, dynoed at 400wheel hp which is around 480 crankish. Could get more with cam change.

Find a competent engine builder one you know you can trust(and it doesn't have to be a Mopar only builder)that always makes me laugh a good builder is a good builder period..bring your stuff to him or buy the parts from him,i always have them do all the machine work and assemble the shortblock,everything else is done/installed by myself and a friend whom i can trust he's the ONLY one allowed to work on the car except for me..this method has worked well so far..

-
Back