Best racing seats for me?

-

elitesrock2

Reaction score
So i'm building my dart to be a high 11 second car and it'll have a vertigate 4 speed setup in it. my question is what are the best race seats out there that actually recline and are comfortable. All the ones i've been around were the one position half inch of pad ones that suck to ride in. my car is going to be on the street alot so i wanna be relatively comfortable in it

I use Kirkey Pro Street seats i mine.

Here are the racing seats in my 11 second street car

20150430_150841.jpg

why not have racing seats? 11s is pretty quick. i want something to really hold me back when i have to shift so i'm not fighting around with it. And at some point its probably going to be way faster

I think you should try it before you spend the money. 11 seconds may seem fast, it doesn't throw you around when you shift. You're talking 1.70ish short times in an 11 second ride. That's about the biggest thrill in the pass besides seeing your win light come on. I'd just hate for you to waste your money. Seatbelts mean much more in regards to holding you in place and being safe than the seats do. You' be surprised how well the factory seats function and that's coming from a guy that isn't in love with many factory engineered parts of our cars.

You can't see the entire seat on either seat, but you get the idea on the Corbeau's...

Interior Mag Pic.jpg

Summit sells a decent racing seat. Has side bolsters, pass through's for a harness. They recline and have sliders on the bottom. Pretty easy to fit them too. The side bolsters are a little tall so if you're a big person they might make entrance/egress a little more difficult, but I don't have an issue with them. But I'm pretty small at 5'8" and 155lbs. I didn't even get them because they're racing seats, I use my Duster as my daily. But since I like cornering the bolsters are nice to keep you from sliding around like you do on the stock seats.

These are them https://www.summitracing.com/parts/sum-g1159-2

And a picture of them in my Duster.
IMG_5535_zps7c66e9f9.jpg

Last edited:
I don't see a problem with a guy putting "racing" seats in a 20 second car if that turns his crank. My Dart was running high 11's when I put the Kirkeys in. I wanted buckets and floor shift, my car had a bench and column shift. All the factory low backs I looked at were pretty much junk and the cheapest set was around $400 with new covers costing about the same, plus having to install new foam factory seats got real expensive in a hurry. I liked the look of Kirkeys so I bought a pair and in they went. Your mileage may vary.

I am of the opinion that ANY item that improves your comfort and/or safety is worth the investment. I have a '72 Scamp with a bench. No support whatsoever. Like sitting on a park bench. Bucket seats were not available in '71 so I looked for a '71 bucket or one from a Duster. About $1k for 2 seats to restore. Aftermarket buckets make sense (and dollars). I would go one step further and install a 6 point roll bar. I was crew on a Dodge bracket car when the driveline let go at 1000 ft mark . Oil got on the slicks and the car rolled 4x and caught fire. The car was destroyed but the roll bar SAVED HIS LIFE. This was a high 11 second car. I have one in my 13 sec Scamp

yeah my car is going to be way overbuilt for what it is. mainly because at some point it will probably get into low 10s high 9s. but it will be caged, fuel cell, aluminum trunk floor with art morrison tubs and 31x18.5 dot hoosiers on keystone klassics. Big reason for me wanting racing seats too is the looks. I will probably get the corbeaus as they look really nice

I had one of those cheap plastic ones for several years. I replaced it with a Kirkley Pro Street aluminum seat and bought the pad to go with it. Very Comfortable.

I have cipher seats for my 67, not mounted in the car yet but have sat in them on our floor and they are very comfortable.

20160501_105035.jpg

I had the Summit brand plastic seat with a cover in a Valiant that I had and it was comfortable to me. There is no way I am paying the outrageous price they want for the aluminum seats. I need to replace the factory bucket seats in my D50 to lose some weight. It is 2950 lbs now and there is nowhere else to lose any weight.

I'd like these race seat if I ever had to buy a set of seats for a future build.

tachretro017.jpg

I think you should try it before you spend the money. 11 seconds may seem fast, it doesn't throw you around when you shift. You're talking 1.70ish short times in an 11 second ride. That's about the biggest thrill in the pass besides seeing your win light come on. I'd just hate for you to waste your money. Seatbelts mean much more in regards to holding you in place and being safe than the seats do. You' be surprised how well the factory seats function and that's coming from a guy that isn't in love with many factory engineered parts of our cars.
you run a harness ?

safety doesn't matter? I feel better in a race seat with Minimum 4 point harness. You can so easily end up on the roof even with a 13+ sec car. I use sparco seats btw

safety doesn't matter? I feel better in a race seat with Minimum 4 point harness. You can so easily end up on the roof even with a 13+ sec car. I use sparco seats btw
How are you able to run sparco seats when they don’t sell the base for A body’s did you fabricate your own?

-
Back