Best thing to do to your blasting cabinet.

-

Clelan

Inferno Red Duster
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
I installed 2 18" LED lights in my blasting cabinet. It made a world of difference. One on the front side above the gloves, and one on the opposite side. No more shadows. Way nicer to work with it. See the before and after pics. It does not show how much of a difference it really made.

Cley

Attachments

• 20150122_101506 (2).jpg
    31 KB · Views: 878
  • 20150122_101443 (2).jpg
    33 KB · Views: 865
i bought the one from china freight , used it seemed like if leaked sand out the seams , emptied it rolled it upside down and used some left over seam sealer on all the under side seams . now it does not expel the dust and sand like it did. just what i did , others may be of better quality than the china ones . ed dartman 440

I have leaks to deal with too. Mine is high quality china made too LOL. I guess you get what you pay for. I've used it a lot in the last couple months, and it sure beats the wire wheel method.

Cley

Could you elaborate on what lights and where you got them? Maybe a pic of the lights too?

I got mine from Summit. I had the forethought to assemble it using black RTV at every joint. Though it could use a better light sumffin awful.

My cabinet light sucks, no seam leaks but really poor light.

Great idea on the lights, and thanks.

Yea the lights in the China ones do suck! I cut two more holes in the top of mine just big enough for strip lights and covered them with plexi glass. then mounted the lights on the outside and put protective film on the inside on the plexi glass. This keeps from blasting the lights and making the lense all cloudy and dark. Then just replace the protective film when needed

I'd like to know what kind of lights they are too. I just haf-a$$ed a $4.99 porch light in my old-as-dirt HF cabinet because it had no light at all. Better than darkness but the shadows are killer.

Used these. Dirt Cheap on ebay ("LED light strip"). Something like $12 for 16ft. Make sure you get the ones sealed in a plastic strip. They'll be IP65 rated IIRC. They're cheap enough that if they quit, they're cheaper than light bulbs.

Attachments

• -ip65.jpg
    38.1 KB · Views: 703
Looks like a pretty good set up. I need to replace the light in my cabinet it just quit working. I did pretty much the same thing RRR did with the black RTV so it wouldn't leak.

I need to take and post some pics of my buddies new blasting cabinet set-up, pretty damn nice and he has the vacuum plumbed to the outside of the building with a big vacuum motor inline using big PCV pipe. Yeah the seams is a bit leaky too but a simply fix. Its one with the hopper under it and he bench mounted it instead of using the cheap legs/stand it came with so it doesnt take up any additional floor space.

I hooked up to mine with my shop vac. It really helps with dust removal. You lose some media up the vacuum hose though. I kept the legs under mine and put casters under it. I have a spot to wheel it away when not being used. I just have to seal it up and I'll be pretty happy with it now.

My 60" SkatBlast cabinet has two halogens, one in each corner, and it's lit up better than any of the prior setups I've ever used (lots and lots of blasting over the years lol .......). As I recall, the camera was set on "Sunset" Mode --- oops --- so it looks kind of red but you can see the back of the light fixture pretty well.

View attachment 075 - Copy.jpg

View attachment 079 - Copy.jpg

It's been in daily use for a couple of years and they're the same bulbs it came with.

For those of you who're using the $5.99 porch light fixtures and regular bulbs, note that those tall glass jars (like salsa comes in) are the perfect screw-on replacement for the [easily broken and often frosted glass] globes those fixtures come with.

I cobbled up a couple of cheap halogen work lights(ones with the cheap wire cage) in my home made cabinet. Gets frickin warm on the mittens in there and take up a bit of space. I may look at changing to the strips as well. Thanks for posting.

This is helpful info, as I just bought a new blast cabinet and have to cobble a light in there as well.

I hooked up to mine with my shop vac. It really helps with dust removal. You lose some media up the vacuum hose though. I kept the legs under mine and put casters under it. I have a spot to wheel it away when not being used. I just have to seal it up and I'll be pretty happy with it now.
We burned up our share of freebie shop vacs on it, dust flew everwhere with those, man I gotta get some pics of how he has it set up now, it vents OUTSIDE the building, way cool.

My 60" SkatBlast cabinet has two halogens, one in each corner, and it's lit up better than any of the prior setups I've ever used (lots and lots of blasting over the years lol .......). As I recall, the camera was set on "Sunset" Mode --- oops --- so it looks kind of red but you can see the back of the light fixture pretty well.

View attachment 1714787198

View attachment 1714787199

It's been in daily use for a couple of years and they're the same bulbs it came with.

For those of you who're using the $5.99 porch light fixtures and regular bulbs, note that those tall glass jars (like salsa comes in) are the perfect screw-on replacement for the [easily broken and often frosted glass] globes those fixtures come with.

thanks for the tip on the jars. I already frosted my globe.

This may sound totally off the wall, but my small tractor supply cabinet came with a 1' florescent light it works ok. I was thinking of additional lighting today.
I thought about stealing a string of my wife's white Christmas lights and going around the perimeter of the inside to hide the shadows?? Crazy? Stupid? I don't know have not tried it yet. It would be cheap enough if it helped out.

thanks for the tip on the jars. I already frosted my globe.

You're welcome! :-D Other jars fit the fixture too but most neck down too much for the bulb to fit through. Those straight tall salsa jars work great though.

The Christmas light string is a cool idea but I don't know if they'd be bright enough to do much good unless they're LEDs. Hmmm, what about that rope lighting?? http://www.ebay.com/itm/Holiday-Living-18-Clear-White-LED-Rope-Light-0127609-New-/191485190637?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item2c956821ed It looks pretty bright on the poles in the picture -- I've never seen it up close though.

Used these. Dirt Cheap on ebay ("LED light strip"). Something like $12 for 16ft. Make sure you get the ones sealed in a plastic strip. They'll be IP65 rated IIRC. They're cheap enough that if they quit, they're cheaper than light bulbs.

Those look good but how do they light?

-
Back