Best Valve Cover Gaskets?

-

Duster Fan

Reaction score
There's alot of options out there, so I just curious what you guys would reccomend. I've got a 318, with over sized 340 heads, and I need to do a Valve cover gasket change out. So what brand/type should I get?

Now, my 318 has been dyno tested and came out with 420+ horsepower. Which is why I don't know if I need a particular gasket or not.

cork or rubber with the steel belt i like. pretty stout 318 u have there. whats the specs?

cork or rubber with the steel belt i like. pretty stout 318 u have there. whats the specs?

Thanks! Not alot of people believe that it's got about 425-430 HP, but it does :) I'll have to go through my notes I can't remember by heart(I know sad right?) there's been over 20k invested in her though.

I went ahead on got Fel-Pro's high performance gaskets, looks like it's a rubber, with steel core? Might be cork core, not 100% sure.

Those are good , 425-430 HP out of a 318 is very good . My 340 , ,30 over with 10.5:1 pistons air gap intake only makes 413 HP . Can you give the specs ? Is it factory stroke and bore ? Like to know the specs as I have a 318 in the garage , 430 HP would suit that 318 , let us know what's in there .

Ok, here they are. Sorry, it's kind of a mess.

been bored .060' over, keith black 10:1 pistons, resized 340 forged rods with ARP bolts, factory forged 340 crankshaft, totally internally balanced rotating assembly, Edelbrock Performer RPM heads with 2.02 in/1.60 ex valves, Comp Cam Gold race aluminum roller shaft rockers, Crane Chromoly pushrods, Comp Cam MM custom grind solid flat tappet camshaft(.464" lift intake/.472" lift exhaust-248 degrees @ .050" duration intake/252 degrees @ .050" exhaust with a 108 lobe separation), edelbrock RPM air gap intake, 4150 Quickfuel 750 double pumper Holley with Proform maibody, mildon aluminum water pump, milodon gold oil pan, melling high volume oil pump, march billet aluminum pulleys, Hooker Comp ceramic coated headers 1 5/8" primary, custom 2.5" x-pipe exhaust with Magnaflow mufflers that exit like an AAR cuda in front of the rear tires. I has a built 8 3/4 rearend that is fully powder coated with a 742 centersection, dana sure-grip posi, 3.91 Moser gears, 30 spline moser axles, billet aluminum yoke, rebuilt charger rear drum brakes,Edelbrock rear shocks, Dennys chromoly Driveline, rebuilt factory front disc brakes( fully manual, so is the steering). the entire front suspension/sub frame is powdercoated with new .92" torsion bars

That is very good power , I have 10.5.1 Mahle .030 over ceramic coated forged pistons , heads ported and polished and the cam 285 Intake./300 Exhaust Valve Lift .465 Intake/Exhaust Lobe Angle 110 Deg and it falls short of your 318 , 413 HP on the dyno with 750 holley and edelbrock air gap intake . Guess those edy heads must be real good .
Well now I have your build specs for the 318 I will try to get the same kind of numbers out of the one in my garage ,will make a great everyday motor .

I bought a set at Napa that are a hard cork/rubber composite and can be used repeatedly. Naturally they were a little more expensive but well worth it.

Ok, here they are. Sorry, it's kind of a mess.

been bored .060' over, keith black 10:1 pistons, resized 340 forged rods with ARP bolts, factory forged 340 crankshaft, totally internally balanced rotating assembly, Edelbrock Performer RPM heads with 2.02 in/1.60 ex valves, Comp Cam Gold race aluminum roller shaft rockers, Crane Chromoly pushrods, Comp Cam MM custom grind solid flat tappet camshaft(.464" lift intake/.472" lift exhaust-248 degrees @ .050" duration intake/252 degrees @ .050" exhaust with a 108 lobe separation), edelbrock RPM air gap intake, 4150 Quickfuel 750 double pumper Holley with Proform maibody, mildon aluminum water pump, milodon gold oil pan, melling high volume oil pump, march billet aluminum pulleys, Hooker Comp ceramic coated headers 1 5/8" primary, custom 2.5" x-pipe exhaust with Magnaflow mufflers that exit like an AAR cuda in front of the rear tires. I has a built 8 3/4 rearend that is fully powder coated with a 742 centersection, dana sure-grip posi, 3.91 Moser gears, 30 spline moser axles, billet aluminum yoke, rebuilt charger rear drum brakes,Edelbrock rear shocks, Dennys chromoly Driveline, rebuilt factory front disc brakes( fully manual, so is the steering). the entire front suspension/sub frame is powdercoated with new .92" torsion bars

Hey cool man! Do you have pics and a sound clip of your exhaust? I'm wanting to use the pypes 2.5" x-pipe with the violator mufflers that exit in front of the rear tires. :)

Chrysler makes nice re-useable set pricey but worth it! Your engine makes alot H.P.I`m sure your gonna turn some serious R.P.M.And that builds crankcase pressure! Then sealing becomes a problem.If your concerned about leakege try valve cover studs w/ the long aftermarket washers...

Moroso blue silcone gaskets have worked good for me. Pricey$$$ but they don't leak with good covers.

-
Back