Best Wax for Clearcoat Paint

-

mtn_jake

73-340 Duster Hemi Orange
Reaction score
As some of you might remember, I had posted pictures here of the progress of the restoration of my 73 Duster (link to the finished product::: http://picasaweb.google.com/mtnjake/1973340DusterCompleted

My question is.......

What is the best wax to use on the clearcoat finish?? Something that will last thru a few washings, good shine, easy on & off (if that is even possible)?
Possibly even something that would take out any small swirl marks, small scratches that weren't completely taken out during buffing the clear coat.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Greg.........mtn_jake

Thanks for the info. I checked the site out and want to see if there are other suggestions pretaining to my quest of a good wax for clearcoat paint.
Thanks again,
Greg........mtn_jake

I dont know if this helps but I use a wax? called reflections it is made by mothers it is more of a clear coat polish I dont know exactly how long it lasts I usually buff a coat on each year seems to hold up (the car I use it on is stored indoors and never see's rain snow or evin cold wheather at all) really shines good

When did you paint it? Do NOT wax it for at least 6 months to make sure the clear has gassed off, wax will trap the solvents and you will have solvent pop and not be a happy camper.

I used to work with a guy at a parts who did a 'study' on this subject with his car. He really got into it to, researching the different waxes online...

Results after trying about 10 different wax's was that the Meguiar's Gold Class Liquid Wax gave the best look.

I never confirmed that myself but this guy seemed pretty on the ball (unlike most at the store I was at!).

I've been looking at many of the links to sites that offer 'wax systems' and these may be very good.....but spending a lot of time rubbing, whipping, cleaning, feeling, polishing, etc..........
I'm finding that there are many opinions and some of these waxes have been recently invented, some that have been around for years. I've used several different types over the years, some that you just spray on, then kinda just lightly buff off.....these seem to not last very long. Others that you spend your whole weekend just applying and whipping off.

I'm sure that you get what you pay for with these waxes.....but I've also seen that there is a 'sucker' born every day that would buy a cheese sandwich with a little parsley placed on the side for $5 bucks or a person that would spend $1.50 without the parsley.........go figure.

So I'm coming to the conclusion that it's experience with a product, in this instance, those that say use this one or that.
I'm hoping that there will be more posts from this fine group of Mopar car folks to review and finally make up my mind.
The other evening, I stopped in the local Walley world to see what they had to offer and there were MANY different name brands & types (spray on or paste or liquid)............So this trip made things even more confusing as to which to go with. I'm hoping that there will be a 'general concensis' somewhere in this post as to the one that is used the most and I'll probably 'give that one a shot'.........

Thanks for all the posts so far.

I'd like to hear more suggestions from one of the best Mopar sites I've ever been a part of.

Greg.............mtn_jake

I forgot to say what I actually use.

Turtle wax. Cheap and been around for years.

My 71 Dart Still Is The Original Paint And Mothers Works The Best For Me. The Others Leave Streaks Or Uneven Looking Areas.
I Use A Clay Bar About 3 Times A Year Before Waxing.
I Use Mothers Wax Not Cleaner Wax.
My dart is a daily driven car and a show winner at car shows.
70,000 miles /6 auto, tawnny gold paint(looks green) that is parked outside all the time.

adams polishes butter wax and their detail spray. looks good , smells good. also it gets applied with microfiber towels only.

the wax that use right now is a pure carnuba and i have used this type of wax for years. i was first introduced to this type of wax when i was working with a friend of mine that is a detailer by traid.

the wax that he uses is called beauty shine and is a past wax, i have used this as well and it is great. at this time though i'm using mothers which i have been impressed with, they both give a good shine and are reasonablely durable.

now they are a bit of work to put on and involve applying and then buffing, but the shine is worth the work i think.

good luck in your search

-
Back