Best way for hood hinge removal?

-

72moparswinger

Reaction score
Whats the best way to remove a hood hinge? I did a search and found a great idea sombody did have for getting rid of those pressed on lock washer design but is there a tool to remove them or is there a trick my front clip is apart for the removal but stuck at the hood hinge part, one hinge is bent so it has to be replaced.

If the fenders still are still on the car you can gain access by removing the inner fender panel. It's has a couple of screws and several other fastners holding it in place along with years of crud and undercoating. On the washers just bend em, breakem with a scewdriver and hammer. Get them loose and reach in there with side cutters to cut them. It's still not going to be any fun. What did you find for getting rid of the washers in your search?

Thanks for the reply, its the weirdest set up I've ever seen and bummed one hinge is bent and it rubs my fender, Thats what I was thinking of how to get them off, I bought two extra hinges just for the heck of it and the guy had to take a crow bar to get that clip off the parts car, said it was a pain in the butt.

I have removed the fenders already, just cause I had to replace one and had to paint the grill so its apart. But in my search I used different (key words) and found more posts about this topic and I found a post about drilling out the factory studs and putting a bolt and washer in place instead and just have a nylon nut on and it holds it snugger but not oo tight. Really great idea but a lot of work since I have to get the car back together to drive and have no real shop tools besides my basic craftsman set.

I found a set of new push nuts on ebay for $20 but Im goin to check my hardware stores first.

How would I go about reinstalling new push nuts on factory studs that hold the hinge on, I was thinking a socket and tap them on?

You can cut the old washer off with a hacksaw or break it. Of course it helps to have the fender off the car so you can get at it.

So this is what I did, the old push nut washer thing was on the last grooved area of the stud, so it back off over the years so I took a 14MM socket and 6 inch extension and a ball peen hammer and knocked it back on snug but not over tight, and all fixed, I might buy another set of push nuts to use as back ups on the stud just for the heck of it.

-
Back