Best way to clean up a mess?

-

doogievlg

Reaction score
My old electronic ignition was leaking the sticky goo out of the back of it and down onto my inner fender. What would be the best way to get this stuff off? It is still very sticky by the way and wanted to get it up before putting my new box on.

Let somebody else do it. That's the best way.

Nope not married...that's why I still have my car :). No women that I want to bring around my car yet either.

Mineral spirits. Could go hard and use lacquer thinner too...

This. Mineral spirits, Goo Gone, Oops, WD40, or lighter fluid are all solvents that you might try, and all of these should work with no significant impact on the paint. If these won't do it, you could try carb cleaner, brake cleaner, lacquer thinner, or gasoline, but some of these could wreck the paint.

carb cleaner .....the stuff is awesome, I have even used it to remove nail polish before ....if carb cleaner cant do it....not much else will.

What about scraping it with a plastic paint scraper if it's thick enough? (you don't want to scratch the paint with a metal one.)

Then for the leftover residue:

I like brake cleaner if I need faster evaporation.

If you want it to stay wet longer, then go with carb cleaner.

Acetone, flashes off real fast. That's the main thing in nail polish remover. It's just scented with lemon or some other fragrance.

-
Back