Best way to drain all trans fluid?

-

65Valiant310

Reaction score
Other than draining the pan, what is the best way to drain all the old fluid out of the 904 / 727 trans?

I heard something about neutral and opening the return line into a bucket but I am wary about starting up the car in neutral with low fluid like that

After the first face full of fluid I got by dropping the pan, I bought a 12V bilge pump and 10 feet of plastic tubing. Stick one end of the tubing down the dipstick tube, hook the other end to the pump, hook the pump to the battery, and when the pump starts spitting into the bucket the trans is pretty much empty.

Do not start it up with the trans line disconnected. It will drain the system but when it runs out of oil you'll be running the pump dry which will trash it real fast. Like Grump said a bilge pump works good.

Some torque converters had a drain plug on them. Take off the access cover and spin it over and you'll see if it has one or not.

I was at harbor freight a while back, they sell a pump made for that it has long plastic tubes made to go into dipstick tube.I worked at a transmission shop that had one , pretty slick and no mess.
I went to a trans seminar a while back and they told us that you can unhook a cooler line and run into a bucket until it starts to spit air at that point shut the engine off , a few seconds wont hurt anything.

This is what I did, I took a 1/4" drill and drilled a hole in the bottom of the pan(carfully, you don't want to go up into the block) and after draining the oil removed it and installed a new deep aluminum pan with it's own drain plug. As you can guess I hate those old steel pans.:toothy10::toothy10:

-
Back