best way to remove vinyl top glue?

-

UDUST81

Reaction score
i tore the vinyl top off of my duster and luckily no rust but a ton of glue... sanding didnt work and paint thinner doesnt seem to do much. i also tried a razor blade but it seems to be putting deep scratches in it. anyone know of a good chemical to use that wont kill me? thanks!

Have you tried rubbing alcohol? I'm not sure if it will work, but worth a try.

Or try heating it up with a hair drier/hot air gun and soften the glue and scrape it off with a plastic paint scraper. Then a solvent for the left over residue.

The three basic solvents are water, alcohol, and mineral spirits. One of them should work. You may have to let them soak for a bit...

yeah ill have to try heating it up i did that to get the remnents of the tail stripes off i dont know why i didnt think of that. do you think lightly going over it with a propane torch might work better than a hair drier?

yeah ill have to try heating it up i did that to get the remnents of the tail stripes off i dont know why i didnt think of that. do you think lightly going over it with a propane torch might work better than a hair drier?

You run a higher risk of burning the paint that way.

Maybe try it in a small spot and see how well it works.

Adhesive glue usually gets "soft" over 150° F. It may take a little while for an air gun to get it there, but less chance to burn the paint or warp your metal.

Propane will get it hotter quicker, but you may get it too hot. If you wish to try it this way, be careful. I would play it safe with a hot air gun or hair drier.

You run a higher risk of burning the paint that way.

Maybe try it in a small spot and see how well it works.

Adhesive glue usually gets "soft" over 150° F. It may take a little while for an air gun to get it there, but less chance to burn the paint or warp your metal.

Propane will get it hotter quicker, but you may get it too hot. If you wish to try it this way, be careful. I would play it safe with a hot air gun or hair drier.

okay im not worried about burning paint as the whole car is going to be repainted but i do not want to warp the metal ill try a hair drier first and if its too slow ill step up to the propane torch :burnout: thanks again!

-
Back