Best way to seal intake and what gasket?

-

dustya_383

Reaction score
What's the best way to seal the intake ? I'm spitting oil out the back of intake after 2500 miles bad . Is it best to use rtv silicone only cork gasket only or both Thanks

All this magic goop wont help much unless you have proper preparation.

I use denatured alcohol on clean microfiber cloths and lots of both. What I would do is pull intake, clean the whole gasket areas on everything with lint free cloth and lots of denatured alcohol.
If you have debris or any silicone or gasket material, this will need to be scraped off. I would do this slowly with someone holding a shop vac nozzle right next to your area you are scraping to suck out all debris as it is chipped off the gasket surface.

Then I would duct tape off the camshaft valley inside below the gasket line on the rails and over the intake ports. Then I would get grey scotchbrite pads soaked with alcohol and scrub the block intake rail front and back until it is shiny bare metal. You will want to use the shop vac to suck out any particles while scrubbing with the scotchbrite.

Wash again with alcohol on microfiber cloths, let dry completely, just attach the gaskets to the block with anything that others recommend as the best sealer. I have been using black permatex.

The cleanliness and a roughed up surface is key to any gasket sealer maintaining adherence to both the intake and block along that rail.

Just like any process involving adhesion, prep is 80% of the work.

All this magic goop wont help much unless you have proper preparation.

I use denatured alcohol on clean microfiber cloths and lots of both. What I would do is pull intake, clean the whole gasket areas on everything with lint free cloth and lots of denatured alcohol.
If you have debris or any silicone or gasket material, this will need to be scraped off. I would do this slowly with someone holding a shop vac nozzle right next to your area you are scraping to suck out all debris as it is chipped off the gasket surface.

Then I would duct tape off the camshaft valley inside below the gasket line on the rails and over the intake ports. Then I would get grey scotchbrite pads soaked with alcohol and scrub the block intake rail front and back until it is shiny bare metal. You will want to use the shop vac to suck out any particles while scrubbing with the scotchbrite.

Wash again with alcohol on microfiber cloths, let dry completely, just attach the gaskets to the block with anything that others recommend as the best sealer. I have been using black permatex.

The cleanliness and a roughed up surface is key to any gasket sealer maintaining adherence to both the intake and block along that rail.

Just like any process involving adhesion, prep is 80% of the work.

How much black Permatex do you use? I have to do this soon too since I'm doing a cam swap.

I use very thin, approx 1/16 " thick on both sides of the gasket. I set it all in place and snug the bolts on the intake and wait a couple hours then torque intake bolts to recommended levels.

I like to use a wire wheel on a drill to clean off the old gasket material and get the surface nice and clean.

You can lay rags in the intake valley to catch any debris and suck it off with a shop vac and then blow it with compressed air.

Then spray with brake cleaner and wipe dry with a clean rag.

Then I put Gaskacinch on the gaskets for the ports and end gaskets and stick them to the block and heads. Then fill the corners with a bead of RTV. Then Gaskacinch the other side of the gaskets and install the intake. I like to use Fel-pro gaskets.

It's a little tricky to get the intake bolts started sometimes, but I get one bolt to start on each side (sometimes you have to get the end gaskets to compress a little) and then work my way up and down the intake until they all are started, then tighten them from the center outward to torque.

It really depends on which gasket and which intake , all the aftermarket intake makers have recommended gaskets and install proceedures , all the gasket makers have recommended install proceedures as well , after running the blue perma torque gaskets with my RPM AirGap for 7 months I read in the Edelbrock tech bulletin not to even use that gasket with their manifolds , they recommend the FelPro 1213 over even their own gasket . Go to the makers website and search their tech info , stock cast intakes can pretty much use any gastket but every bulletin I have read has said throw away the cork end gaskets and make your own with a 1/4 inch thick bead of sealant , some like the RTV but I have been using the "Right Stuff" which is not a silicone based product and is the product used on the assembly line by the big three .

Believe it or not MOPAR RTV and International OEM are the best RTV sealants out there bar none. I have done Power Stroke Oil pans with other brands and had to re-do them. Never with MOPAR or International. You can put the pans on let them dry and remove the bolts and they will stay on. Be real carefull when removing as not to ruin your part.
81Qmj0J7jJL._SL1500_.jpg

And get some bristle discs for your die grinder. Make clean up a breeze
41TiT0l6jiL.jpg

I never use fancy intake gaskets and I have never had an intake leak.

Get the surfaces clean to the metal.
Goop the corners where the head and block meet.
Lay the side gaskets
Goop the end rails (now you have goop under and over the ends of the side gaskets)
Set the intake
Torque correctly.

-
Back