Best way to take out a slant 6?

-
Just pulled mine in October. Here's what I did. Remove the driveshaft and the tranny mount. Plug the tailstock or I just stuffed some rags into a couple of zip lock bags and zip tied them tightly around the tail. Unbolt the motor mounts at the K-member. Remove the radiator and fan. Disconnect the tranny linkage and z-bar at the transmission. Remove the speedo cable and plug the hole. Disconnect the NSS connector. Tie the linkages off to the driver's side somewhere so they will be out of the way. Unbolt the exhaust at the bottom of the EGR manifold. Remove the starter and any brackets, ground straps, etc. Remove the p/s pump and tie the hoses up out of the way. Remove the alternator and the adjusting bracket. Disconnect the throttle cable. Put the hoist chain in the rear hole on top of the head. This will perfectly balance both engine and tranny. Lift and slide them both forward as far as you can and block the oil pan on the x/m with 2x4's. Set them down and move the chain to the front hole on top of the head. They'll tilt almost straight up. Run a ratchet strap from the tip of your hoist to the tail of the tranny. This will let you adjust the tilt angle as needed. Lift and pull forward, raising or lowering the tail of the tranny as needed. It helps a lot if you jack up the rear of the car as high as you can and block it with jack stands. I didn't have to remove my hood and struggled a little getting the crank pulley past the radiator support. Keep a 2x4 and a pry bar handy for this. I did mine all alone but an extra set of hands is a great help.

Even though this is an old thread that's been revived... Here's how I pulled mine. A hoist and someone to help guide it out.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    43.7 KB · Views: 154
-
Back