Best wheel that looks good and is straight and true?

-

Mopar to ya

Reaction score
All right. I've had this conversation before but never got much in the way of suggestions. I'll give a little back story, but I am looking for light, strong and true wheels. I love the Weld Draglites. Two of them with tires weigh less than one of my wheels and tires. I need them to be straight and to remain that way and here is why ....

When I put in my Dana I had to change wheels because my old wheels hit the rear calipers. I was forced to buy something quick, and I always liked and still do like the wheels I bought. The problem I have is I have been fighting a shake for years in this car. I've always run BFG Radial TA's and have changed them out with no change to the vibration. Last weekend I was going racing so I put on my Mickey Thompson ET Streets on steel wheels and put on two new Nitto NT450 on the front. I balanced them myself and used tape weights in the drum and rim weights on the inner lip. My ride has never been so good and the vibration was 85% gone. That was a big surprise, so I balanced the rears with the BFG tires and my normal rims and the rims were so bad I had to static balance and it took a ton of weights even so. I checked and it's mostly in the rims. I need to get new rims so ...... what are the best choices? I'm not made of money, but I need to do this.

have you tried rotating the tire on the wheel to get it closer prior to applying weight? the last set of drag radials i had put on the rear of my car had weights stacked 3 high in the inside of the wheel. I asked them to please pop the bead and rotate the tire until they got it closer. in the end it took 3 adjustments of the tire location and they got it balanced with 1.5 ounces. huge difference.

have you verified the run out on your current wheels? jack it up and PUT ON JACK STANDS WITH JACK STILL UNDER REAR DIFFERENTIAL. then start the car and put in drive. let it idle. you will see if the wheel is out. can even attach a magnetic base dial indicator up on the quarter panel.

I have never heard bad things about weld wheels.

I road force balanced them. The wheels are no longer true. My drag radials on the steel wheels were smooth as a baby's butt. It's my daily driver rims that are giving me trouble.

I have these on my Dart Sport, and I like them. No issues at all balancing them.

For the life of me I can't remember what they are, I bought them from a member local to me.

Someone here will recognize them.

Attachments

• Paved Road Shot2 zoom.jpg
    29.9 KB · Views: 242
Billet specialties street lite or centerline qualifier is what they look like.

I have been running weld wheels a long time on diff. cars, never had a bad one. tellstars are good too, altho very hi priced for some unknown reason.

-
Back