better motor mounts or torque strap???

-

Optik

Reaction score
i swapped from a /6 to a 360 in my 64 dart and i got the shumacher swap mounts but i don't like them. the engine has a pretty big cam in it and it likes to dance around in the doghouse because of the rubber biscuit mounts. would a torque strap help keep this dancing monster from shakin all over the place? what are some options for this? how is a torque strap applied and will it help with the safety of the setup? i WILL be taking this car to the track on weekends this summer and don't want to have my motor jumping out of the engine bay and causing trouble....
thanks!
-tim

Yes it will help. If i remember, the torque strap attaches from the engine to the K. It adds the extra stiffness you are looking for

I never used a strap. I used solid mounts. I don't think you can get them for your application, but that will keep things from moving.

The schmacher torque strap (actually a rod) works really well and is adjustable, now if I can just get the rest of the car to stop shaking.LOL

Terry

Have the schumaker poly mounts( a semi solid mount ) & their adjustable torque rod on my /6 to 340 swaped 65 cuda and they make a nice combo. Pure solid mount are nice but can produce some bad vibration probs.

Oldschoolcuda

I converted to solid mounts on my 65 (modified a set of the 67-72 style solid biscuits to work with my 65 brackets) a while back, but I still have the Schumacher torque strap if you are interested. It worked pretty well, but I wanted to stop movement altogether since I have a set of .990 torsion bars that the headers constantly "touched".

Since I am converting to the Alterktion setup, I won't be able to use it again anyway.

DSC05469.jpg

DSC05476.jpg

I converted to solid mounts on my 65 (modified a set of the 67-72 style solid biscuits to work with my 65 brackets) a while back, but I still have the Schumacher torque strap if you are interested. It worked pretty well, but I wanted to stop movement altogether since I have a set of .990 torsion bars that the headers constantly "touched".

how much would something like that cost ( torque strap )

Phil

how much would something like that cost ( torque strap )

Phil

They cost $80+shipping through Schumacher.

I have Shumacher mounts and also a torque strap and they work sweet, the straps keep the engine nice and tight, especially with a 4-speed!

Picture 072.jpg

Picture 073.jpg

I had a friend make a torque strap for me out of stainless steel. It keeps my clutch linkage from twisting. Even with the rubber mounts it keeps it from moving. Mine attaches to the head and to the frame rail.

Fred B

1167618443_car.jpg

-
Back