Better Torque From A 318

-
If you can't get good mpg from a 318, I stand by my first reaction. "You must not know how to tune or drive." If you want to compare compacts or small engines, to a 318 what is your point. I worked on all brands of cars. Mopars were always at the top for power efficiency, and reliability. And I worked on cars when Pontiacs had Pontiac engines, Buicks had Buick engines, Oldsmobiles had Oldsmobile engines, not the cheap Chevrolet junk engines.
Not trying to argue about it. Just stating that I was never able to get good mileage from a 318, I never said that others didn't or couldn't get mileage from them. I do know how to tune I may not be as good as others and I never claimed to be.

Another Gorgeous '73 with a 318 and A/C, original paint and no rust. Asking 19k and in the midwest. Found it in another 25 seconds after I found the first one in post above.
1973 Plymouth space duster

Once you cross over 15k, there are a lot of real nice Dusters for sale that need next to nothing. It isn't hard to find a quality car between 15-20k. I could buy 2 a week if I was looking and willing to travel 10 hrs in any direction from home. Dan's in Missouri? That's pretty centrally located.
I'm going to be busy on the computer, awesome

If you can't get good mpg from a 318, I stand by my first reaction. "You must not know how to tune or drive." If you want to compare compacts or small engines, to a 318 what is your point. I worked on all brands of cars. Mopars were always at the top for power efficiency, and reliability. And I worked on cars when Pontiacs had Pontiac engines, Buicks had Buick engines, Oldsmobiles had Oldsmobile engines, not the cheap Chevrolet junk engines.
Cheap junk Chevrolet engines?? I guess you don't know or heard about the 283 engine back in the day.

Not trying to argue about it. Just stating that I was never able to get good mileage from a 318, I never said that others didn't or couldn't get mileage from them. I do know how to tune I may not be as good as others and I never claimed to be.
I am not trying to put you down either. We are here to help. the 1975 Cordoba 318 was so clean it did not need a catalytic convertor and when we tuned them they would get 25 mpg stock. None of my cars were stock and were built to be high performance, not race. Good mpg came with the improved efficiency. Good luck finding a car.

Last edited:
Cheap junk Chevrolet engines?? I guess you don't know or heard about the 283 engine back in the day.

Having worked on most everything, I have my favorites. If a friend had a Chevrolet, I would recommend a 283 or 327. They still had the junk valve train. At least they usually had forged cranks. By the time GM threw out the good engines for the cheap Chevy junk, the 283 and 327 were long gone.

I am not trying to put you down either. We are here to help. the 1975 Cordoba 318 was so clean it did not need a catalytic convertor and when we tuned them they would get 25 mpg stock. None of my cars were stock and were built to be high performance, not race. Good mpg came with the improved efficiency. Good luck finding a car.
I understand and thanks

Having worked on most everything, I have my favorites. If a friend had a Chevrolet, I would recommend a 283 or 327. They still had the junk valve train. At least they usually had forged cranks. By the time GM threw out the good engines for the cheap Chevy junk, the 283 and 327 were long gone.
It looks like to me you are a Chevy hater! I own a 1998 gmc pickup with a 350 vortec. It is a great engine.

I found my old mopar book from back in the day.

20231225_114453.jpg

It looks like to me you are a Chevy hater! I own a 1998 gmc pickup with a 350 vortec. It is a great engine.

I used to rebuild engines all the time when I was a young man. A Chevy engine would be pumping oil up to the air filter by 30,000 miles. The timing chain would fail around 70,000 miles. When rebuilding a 350 engine you threw away the cam, lifters, and valves, turned the crank, bored and honed the block with the main caps torqued and a torque plate installed because the block had no integrity. The Quadra-Jet could have been a great carb, but as usual they snatched defeat from the jaws of victory by leaking secondary fuel wells. You were always having to drill out studs and other fasteners because Chevrolet used the cheapest junk hardware they could find. I could always tell a Chevy by sound, the valves that could not quite seal and an exhaust leak. I personally would not have one. As a matter of fact, once I got out of the business, all the Chevy stuff I had was gone. I had so many 350, 4 bolt main blocks and forged crankshafts I was giving them away, except the two I would put in the back of my Dodge pickup to get traction in the winter. I won't get into the unmitigated disasters like Vegas, Chevettes, or Fieros. I won't go into engineering or racing shenanigans. But I am glad to hear they are making better engines and that yours is doing well. I hope you never have any problems with your GMC pickup.

-
Back