Beware new member "Prints Valiant"

-
How come people don't see the "five posts" RED FLAG?

Why the red flag? He wasn't selling, he was buying.
I see what YY1 is saying. I wonder how often a scammer is a fairly new member? That would be an interesting statistic. That being said, I also totally see what Steve is saying. I would guess that it is less likely for a person to join a forum to buy parts as a scam than to sell parts they do not have.
Let me confess something. I also belong to a Classic Mustang forum. I joined primarily to help my friend Mark sell a bunch of 67 Mustang parts after we finished restoring his 67 Mustang. He bought WAY more parts than he needed. I joined the forum and after making a few posts, I started selling things. I sold a lot of parts there, and I have a 100% Satisfaction rating. In fact. I visit it occasionally and answer some questions or make some comments. Like our forum, there are some very nice people there. My point is that just because a person is new, that doesn't mean they can't be trusted.
This question is for @toolmanmike. Would it make sense to have a rule that new members could not sell items for the first x number of days + posts? That way people would know up front that they cannot join one day and start selling parts the next. Maybe that would help?
Here is a picture of Mark's Mustang; painted by me.

93.jpg

I see what YY1 is saying. I wonder how often a scammer is a fairly new member? That would be an interesting statistic. That being said, I also totally see what Steve is saying. I would guess that it is less likely for a person to join a forum to buy parts as a scam than to sell parts they do not have.
Let me confess something. I also belong to a Classic Mustang forum. I joined primarily to help my friend Mark sell a bunch of 67 Mustang parts after we finished restoring his 67 Mustang. He bought WAY more parts than he needed. I joined the forum and after making a few posts, I started selling things. I sold a lot of parts there, and I have a 100% Satisfaction rating. In fact. I visit it occasionally and answer some questions or make some comments. Like our forum, there are some very nice people there. My point is that just because a person is new, that doesn't mean they can't be trusted.
This question is for @toolmanmike. Would it make sense to have a rule that new members could not sell items for the first x number of days + posts? That way people would know up front that they cannot join one day and start selling parts the next. Maybe that would help?
Here is a picture of Mark's Mustang; painted by me.

View attachment 1716210088
That color is taking me back ...to a charger I painted with my cousin. It was one of the first cars I painted and I still have that color of overspray on a toolbox and a section of floor.

Of course I was cheap back then and we used Omni Single stage, so the tint of green was probably off a bit from original but I always liked that color.

IMAG0174.JPG

That color is taking me back ...to a charger I painted with my cousin. It was one of the first cars I painted and I still have that color of overspray on a toolbox and a section of floor.

Of course I was cheap back then and we used Omni Single stage, so the tint of green was probably off a bit from original but I always liked that color.

View attachment 1716210093
That color looks awesome on that Charger. I have been following your posts for quite a while. I don't think I have ever heard you mention that you were a painter. Are you self-taught like me? I had someone show me how to adjust the gun and how to spray a proper pattern and that was it. How many cars have you painted?

That color looks awesome on that Charger. I have been following your posts for quite a while. I don't think I have ever heard you mention that you were a painter. Are you self-taught like me? I had someone show me how to adjust the gun and how to spray a proper pattern and that was it. How many cars have you painted?
I went to auto school. (community college) I have painted quite a few cars and spot repairs (blending and color matching) but i'd rather do mechanic work. The painting is hard to be a perfectionist because the paint is going to do what it wants and certainly not on your timeline either.
Mechanic work is more straight forward, either it works or it don't.

I learned on a Sata jet paint gun, high dollar gun back then and now I use a 10 dollar harbor freight gun LOL. where was HF back in the early to mid 2000s.

I learned on a Sata jet paint gun, high dollar gun back then and now I use a 10 dollar harbor freight gun LOL. where was HF back in the early to mid 2000s.
I highly recommend the Devilbis Finishline FLG4 gun. You can usually get one with several tips for around $200. That gun can do anything. With a 1.8 or 2.2 tip, it is a great primer gun, and with a 1.3 or 1.4 tip. they can lay down an excellent paint job.

I highly recommend the Devilbis Finishline FLG4 gun. You can usually get one with several tips for around $200. That gun can do anything. With a 1.8 or 2.2 tip, it is a great primer gun, and with a 1.3 or 1.4 tip. they can lay down an excellent paint job.
For being self taught that mustang looks amazing!!

The charger looks good in the pic but it wasn't really that nice in person. There were some panels that should have been replaced that wern't. College kids typically don't have the budget it takes to make a car like that really nice. It really needed a dutchman panel and had some old collision damage that was just repiared when the panel should have been replaced.

I sold some parts and even a car here ..... and I bought a car here too, sight unseen and sent the money... yikes!
Sold our Ramcharger here... aluminum heads... other smaller things.... I've bought a lot of parts here too... NEVER a bad transaction, thanks FABO. Maybe I've been lucky, I am being more cautious and I've always followed my gut instinct for whatever that's worth
Same here. I've bought and sold stuff here and sold stuff through FBBO. Never a bad transaction. Just once, a guy bought a brake booster from me that turned out to be the same as the incorrect one that he had so I refunded the money and he sent it back.
Communication really matters, people. Make it clear what you're selling, the condition of it and any potential shipping delays that you may encounter. I think that most people would appreciate that.

Mustang is the original "legend lime".

Like Mopar and F3/6/8 green, about 80% of all late 60's fords were that color, as was my 71 torino gt.

If I see a new member selling something i'm interested in, or showing interest in a part I am selling, I loo at their other posts.

If less than 4-5, I generally don't bother replying and rarely hear back.

if more than that, I read them and see if they are A- coherent- you'd be surprised, and B- do they seem knowledgeable, or at least curious enough to ask well formed and/or partially researched questions, and C- are they providing any kind of backstory, and does it seem believable (and not a sob story)?

Reading between those lines can reveal a LOT about someones personality, and intent.

Issueing an apology to "Prints Valiant" according to him, the situation was created by Paypal and he was not aware of their behavior. Paypal only told me item was being disputed and not the specific reason. I clearly thought the worst given his new member status. I should have gone to the source, the actual member, initially to avoid this confusion. If anything positive came from this posting it is that he responded with a rational explanation that Paypal never gave me. My apologies, Prints Valiant.

Hell, I'll take Girl Scout cookies for payment if the buyer wants to wait for me to finish them all to make sure they're not stale.

If they're thin mints, that'll happen much faster than any check clearing the bank.

-
Back