BEWARE of doing business with 340bird71

-

Bbod

Reaction score
Buddy of mine bought the 340 off of 340bird71 yesterday. It was listed as a fresh rebuilt .040” engine. The bores were worn out and rusty, lifters were used, rockers were toast, no distributor bushing, missing head bolts. He drove 600 miles one way for the engine and the owner said he didn’t have the tools to take the head off for inspection. Looking through the spark plug holes revealed new pistons. Now 340bird71 will not answer calls or return messages. Shady SOB

Resized_20230818_153234.jpeg

Resized_20230818_153422.jpeg

So sad. Always bring tools and fully inspect engine no matter who it is. Because they just may not know. I don’t know 340bird71 so I cannot speak about them. Your buddy should had taken a deeper dive after a 600 trip.
Syleng1

I agree, he should have looked deeper but inspecting with the oil pan off and spark plugs out were the only options at the time. How about someone take responsibility for what they were listing for sale. All ports were taped off and new plugs installed…makes one feel like they are being set up for a screwing.

Def not a fresh rebuild, sorry for your friend. Other guys were having issues with 340Bird71 but was due to slow shipping.

Def not a fresh rebuild, sorry for your friend. Other guys were having issues with 340Bird71 but was due to slow shipping.
From his posting “rebuilt fresh 72 340 long block bored .40 over j heads steel crank internally balanced and has comp xe284h cam and double roller timing chain, all arp bolts $1200”

He is a liar and a thief

That's pretty ballsy considering now you and your buddy know where he lives - assuming you picked it up at his house of course.

There's no excuse for not catching the missing head bolts though. That one's on your buddy.

Head bolt was not missing, it was just sitting in there stripped. The oil plug was missing under the oil filter plate. Yep, we know where he lives. We are giving him the chance to make it right before taking further actions.

I learned this from the Brady bunch

caveat emptor!

If the seller misrepresented the engine that is bad on him.

Looking at the photos from the sale thread he misrepresented by saying "freshly rebuilt"

For your friend to not FULLY inspect the engine is 110% on him.

And from the photos I would not have driven 600 miles to look at the engine, the pass side head intake mating surface is all rusted and the lifters all up in the air, no balancer, or front cover.

No way in hell I'm buying that.

Screenshot_20230818-210322.png

Sure it sucks to drive 1200 miles and come home empty handed but it is even worse to come home with a boat anchor and no cash and 1200 miles.

NEVER TAKE ANYONE'S WORD ON THE QUALITY OF A PRODUCT YOU ARE LOOKING TO BUY.

Last edited:
There is a difference in faults…. My buddy’s at fault for trusting someone at their word.. he is at fault for misrepresenting what he had for sale.

I just hope the spineless coward shows up to tell his side

not to salt the wounds, but in what reasonable world would anybody think that was "fresh" by those pictures?

i'm not discounting the seller being a turd with some subterfuge there, but there has to be a bit of due diligence, especially when buying used parts.

i hope the transmission isn't full of sawdust and banana peels

Most likely full of broken teeth. One thing his house trailer is going to have in common

Maybe he meant "freshly assembled". Was someone actually going to run it like that?

I saw that listing, and the first thing I thought was "that's pretty cheap for a freshly rebuilt motor", especially a 340. I agree about lots of red flags.

Maybe he meant "freshly assembled". Was someone actually going to run it like that?
Ignore threadWatch
[ATTACH type="full" alt="340bird71"]1716129847[/ATTACH]

340bird71

Active Member​

JoinedNov 17, 2020Messages44Reaction score55LocationCentralia Illinois
Rating - 50%
1 1 0
Add Feedback
Contact seller
rebuilt fresh 72 340 long block bored .40 over j heads steel crank internally balanced and has comp xe284h cam and double roller timing chain, all arp bolts $1200

a833 4speed and aluminum small block bell housing $800 obo.

20230723_160751.jpg

20230723_160634.jpg

Most likely full of broken teeth. One thing his house trailer is going to have in common
i too have been known to wake up in the morning and choose violence.

however, if you don't have a "lawyerin' slush fund" sometimes artifice and chicanery are just as gratifying in results. i find that *inconvenience* is so much more delicious a revenge than caving in somebody's skull. people have spares, so don't flatten a tire, flatten two. but don't flatten two tires, just take the rims wholesale-- one off the front, one off the rear different sides.

there's a lot you can do with somebody's phone number and address. it'd be a shame if all their packages wound up getting rerouted to BFE by way of charleston. or, like if the city or county all of a sudden started checking in on them.

i've only played a pirate and a doctor on television, not a lawyer, so i'm not sure how solid my advice is though.

my posting said “beware of 340bird71.” My intention was to warn others of the problems my buddy had with him. Yes…. There were red flags, yes he should have looked closer BUT the thread is about a member listing something inaccurately. Accountability…

i too have been known to wake up in the morning and choose violence.

however, if you don't have a "lawyerin' slush fund" sometimes artifice and chicanery are just as gratifying in results. i find that *inconvenience* is so much more delicious a revenge than caving in somebody's skull. people have spares, so don't flatten a tire, flatten two. but don't flatten two tires, just take the rims wholesale-- one off the front, one off the rear different sides.

there's a lot you can do with somebody's phone number and address. it'd be a shame if all their packages wound up getting rerouted to BFE by way of charleston. or, like if the city or county all of a sudden started checking in on them.

i've only played a pirate and a doctor on television, not a lawyer, so i'm not sure how solid my advice is though.
I like the way you think

-
Back