bezel refinish

-
don't know about stripping it but you can use chrome finger nail polish to touch up

I used ez off oven cleaner to strip the rally dash bezel from the 68 Barracuda.
Took the remaining chrome and paint off down to the white plastic.
I did it on a mild summer day, cold temperatures will probably slow down the cleaner.
Washed it good with warm water and Dawn dish soap to remove the accumulation of grime.
Sprayed on the oven cleaner, let it set for a while, scrubbed it with a soft tooth brush, rinsed and reapplied the oven cleaner, set for a while, scrubbed and rinsed and it was done.

EZ off iz pretty harsh. Esp for some plastics. It may eat it and make it worse.

Try Stoner (huh-huh) Tarminator. It may not work as fast, but there is a lot less of a chance of it melting it.

Could also take a wet, soapy (simple green soaked :)) scothbrite to it and see if it comes off.

Could you post some pics for us to see what you are dealin with?? :thumbsup:

Also, for the re-chrome, this is stuff works well and you can do it yerself...

Silicone Mold Rubber, Polyurethane Mold Rubber, Casting Resin, Bare-Metal Foil

EZ off iz pretty harsh. Esp for some plastics. It may eat it and make it worse.

Try Stoner (huh-huh) Tarminator. It may not work as fast, but there is a lot less of a chance of it melting it.

Could also take a wet, soapy (simple green soaked :)) scothbrite to it and see if it comes off.

Could you post some pics for us to see what you are dealin with?? :thumbsup:

Also, for the re-chrome, this is stuff works well and you can do it yerself...

Silicone Mold Rubber, Polyurethane Mold Rubber, Casting Resin, Bare-Metal Foil
I've used the original easy off yellow top oven cleaner for over 40 years taking paint off of every type of painted or chromed plastic that is in a car. I have never melted automotive plastic with easy-off oven cleaner. I use it also to remove anodizing so I can fix the aluminum pieces then polish them up after fixing the dents. the bezels go from this
DSCF3758.JPG

DSCF3759.JPG

to this

DSCF3763.JPG

to this
-0841.jpg
-0844.jpg

to this.
DSCF4162.JPG

-0848.jpg

I've used the original easy off yellow top oven cleaner for over 40 years taking paint off of every type of painted or chromed plastic that is in a car. I have never melted automotive plastic with easy-off oven cleaner. I use it also to remove anodizing so I can fix the aluminum pieces then polish them up after fixing the dents. the bezels go from thisView attachment 1715413947

View attachment 1715413948

to this

View attachment 1715413950

to thisView attachment 1715413953 View attachment 1715413954

to this.
View attachment 1715413951

View attachment 1715413955

How did it work on pitted and otherwise compromised plastic?

Not trying to be a dick here, just trying to learn. :thankyou:

I've used the original easy off yellow top oven cleaner for over 40 years taking paint off of every type of painted or chromed plastic that is in a car. I have never melted automotive plastic with easy-off oven cleaner. I use it also to remove anodizing so I can fix the aluminum pieces then polish them up after fixing the dents. the bezels go from thisView attachment 1715413947

View attachment 1715413948

to this

View attachment 1715413950

to thisView attachment 1715413953 View attachment 1715413954

to this.
View attachment 1715413951

View attachment 1715413955

And may I say, those parts turned out great!! :thumbsup:

How did it work on pitted and otherwise compromised plastic?

Not trying to be a dick here, just trying to learn. :thankyou:

Thanks the parts did come out pretty good. I had some "spectra chromed (they were ok) and some other process down in Tampa,florida whose name escapes me at the moment which turned out even better, but I think it was the sprayer that made the difference not the paint.
I'm looking into other home built operations like Caswell plating for plastic but the $$$ for that are not there(or the space for the chemicals).
I had some crumbly plastic bezels on my 64 dart (push button bezel) It cleaned off the chrome paint and took the loose stuff of leaving me with a super clean finish so I was able to rebuild the Grooving in the part by juts adding a little bit of plastic repair. that was over 10 years ago and the new owner still has that bezel on the car and it look like it always did. I also took 2 hacked bezels and made it into the one (A/C with radio delete) for a guy that wanted A/C in his car and got it sprayed also. nice finish and you couldn't tell from the front where the 2 pieces met. Side pillar plastic is the worst culprit of wear and tear and the easy off(original yellow top with lye in it, blue top or knockoffs don't work) even cleaned up the really nasty ones and saved what others would have thrown away.

So the best thing to strip the plastic then is the oven cleaner? I have some 69 headlight rings I’m looming to strip and repaint and don’t want to have to spend all the time getting in all the cracks and crevasses sanding, etc.

So the best thing to strip the plastic then is the oven cleaner? I have some 69 headlight rings I’m looming to strip and repaint and don’t want to have to spend all the time getting in all the cracks and crevasses sanding, etc.
yup get a plastic bag big enough to fit the bezels into to help keep the oven cleaner "wet" (only use real easy off yellow top , since it has small amount of lye in it that breaks down anodizing and paint) spray a heavy coat on part and put in bag. use 00 steel wool to scrub the part to check if you have gotten all the anodizing off or paint, if not spray and put back in bag for a while. I left 1 radio bezel and 2 headlight bezels in the bags for a couple days to get the 10 or so layers of paint off the plastic and some hard to reach corners of the headlight bezels.
worked great and no eating of the part like draino with lye can do.

yup get a plastic bag big enough to fit the bezels into to help keep the oven cleaner "wet" (only use real easy off yellow top , since it has small amount of lye in it that breaks down anodizing and paint) spray a heavy coat on part and put in bag. use 00 steel wool to scrub the part to check if you have gotten all the anodizing off or paint, if not spray and put back in bag for a while. I left 1 radio bezel and 2 headlight bezels in the bags for a couple days to get the 10 or so layers of paint off the plastic and some hard to reach corners of the headlight bezels.
worked great and no eating of the part like draino with lye can do.
A awesome, thanks. I plan on doing this with my headlight surrounds and possibly bezels in the future.

-
Back