Big Block Accelerator Cable Length 4 A Body

-

thepaintguy

Reaction score
I found a usefull bit of information on this topic from a website by AREngineering. There is a lot of conjecture and a lot more misinformation from many different friends/accquaitanances/media sources. The simple fact is that Dodge still carries suitable Accelerator Cables for B, RB, Engine Swaps as well as LA and /6 configurations into ABody Mopars. No more buying a bunch of different length cables and still ending up with an incorrect cable.
Check them out at arengineering/tech/throttle-cable-primer/
:burnout:

Great find and pretty cool that the ARE guys would go to the trouble of matching part numbers to specs and letting everyone know about it.

I'm finding I still need to mod a factory piece or find something custom for my 65 Valiant/440. I'm working a mechanical resto on a vintage street racer that was apparently first built about 30 yrs ago. When I found it in El Paso TX it had been sitting a number of years. The title traces back to Santa Ana CA which is where it must have been put together. The 440 had a Carter carb on it and a small block A-body cable. The ARE data shows 20.50" and that's where it measures. I've swapped the gummed up Carter for a Holley 750. In the original install the cable was way too long and badly kinked. With the Holley lined up I measure 18" as the needed length. I"ve been able to cut down a small block cable by shortening the tapered tube at the carb end and cutting the cable at the pedal end. Now I need to find a shop that can securely swage a ball onto the cable, thinking a vintage motorcycle or sailboat rigging outfit. If this works out I'll post a photo.

I've been using the original /6 cable with an adjustable bracket with mine for 17 yrs now.

Well I poked away at it this week and figured out how to cut down a 20.5" cable to fit my setup. It ended up a little over 17". Pics show cables side by side and the chopped one installed. I drilled a small bolt to make an adjustable stop at the pedal end.

Attachments

• 100_1373.jpg
    163.5 KB · Views: 143
  • 100_1370.jpg
    111.4 KB · Views: 142
-
Back