big block dart scatter shield

-

twayne24365

Reaction score
383 in a 72 swinger, I got my trans rebuilt and would like to use a scattershield.
talking to another member I hear that there are Many obsticals to use the Lakewood bell.
what all is needed to fit the Lakewood bell?
what about the QuickTime?
worse case scenario I can always get a new repro from brewers

Obstacles?
Cost of a new one I should think would be tops.
Mine's an older LW 3 piece, lot's-o-bolts (plus a few more).
11" (143 tooth) flywheel vs. the 10.5" or 11" scalloped (130 tooth) flywheels have different starter locations.
Indicating it in and changing locating pins (if necessary).
Bell crank alignment, housing side, may need adjustment.

I don't know what obstacles you mean. I used a Lakewood Scattershield with big blocks in two vehicles now, one of them is a 65 Barracuda. The only obstacles I know of are you may have to modify a bellcrank and make brackets for use and on early A-bodies you have to beat the floor/firewall seam flat.

I can get an older LW for 200 bucks pretty close to me,

what's up with the starter mounting/adapter on that bell?

I had to "massage" the trans tunnel seam flat with a BFH to clear the Lakewood in my '72 Dart, also in a '70 Valiant. Just takes a few minutes.

Any bellhousing should be dialed in, not just a scattershield.

The starter mounting is a bit different for a 10.5" (130 tooth) flywheel. The bottom hole doesn't line up, so Lakewood makes an adapter that locates and clamps the starter flange in the right location.

It was a bit more work, but I want to #Save the 10 piggies too!

I'm kinda in the same boat here. I'm gathering up all the parts to put a 4 speed in my Demon with a big block. I've got the Lakewood bell and I've made all of the pieces that I needed for the clutch linkage. But I'm seeing that there is an issue with the starter.
Right now I have a 130 tooth flywheel and from what I've read I would need the Lakewood starter adapter kit. Now here is where I'm seeing an issue. Apparently that kit is no longer available. Lakewood still offers the bellhousing but they now state that you must use a 143 tooth flywheel. Lakewood 15335: Blowproof Bellhousing 1959-78 Chrysler 383/413/426/440 | JEGS
This kinda tells me that their solution to the problem is just for the buyer to purchase a new flywheel to rectify the issue.
Can anyone shed some light here?
Thanks....................Ted

"Assuming" the picture is correct in the link, I see the block saver page is saying 143 tooth required. Notice the "optional" starter holes "F". Also notice the starter nose hole has a second line, a "knock-out", on the outboard area. One would need to take this area out for the 11"-143 tooth flywheel. The bell itself shows two locations providing adjustment for 10-1/2"-130 tooth and 11"-143 tooth flywheels for the bolt in starter tip cup.

It's been a while but I believe that's what I found when I went to the 11"-143 tooth on my LW 3 piece.

I think I'm going to go with the QuickTime bell.
it's hard to find alot of info on them but I found an old forum where a fella used one and it worked out pretty good.

-
Back