Big Block Duster

-

Craig NY

Reaction score
Hi again all. New to the site and im looking to get me a nice Duster. Kinda new to Mopars so im just trying to get as much info till i get the dough for my car in Feb. Just wondering what the pros/cons for a big block A body, cause im really liking the idea of a big block. Im looking for a nice street/strip
car that is pretty much done already. Ill have like 10 11 k to spend. Whad do yall think? Sorry for the long post, but ANY info or input would be great, Thanks!

Heck man this isnt long, is short and sweet. Big block A-bodys are sweet for street/strip action. Turning and barking are an inuse but if you arent lookin for a daily driver who cares right? My local friend Steve put a 440 in his dart and its a street/strip running a 12.8 I believe on street radials and his big 500lb but in there. It will make the ground shake when he stomps on it but again turning and barking are poor. You can build a nice street/strip appilcation A body for 10 to 11k. Thats no big deal just need to find the right parts and such. Welcome to the site by the way and Happy New Year!

Thanksfor the info and happy new year to you. Its not going to be a daily driver, and im not looking for a trailer queen car. I just want a nice clean car that rips!

It will RIP alright.
I have a 440 Demon that runs 11.8's in the quater with a mild 440.
Street tires and through 2 1/2" mufflers.
The Dart I had with a worn out 440 and bad tranny ran 12.6.

Mopower71 said:
It will RIP alright.
I have a 440 Demon that runs 11.8's in the quater with a mild 440.
Street tires and through 2 1/2" mufflers.
The Dart I had with a worn out 440 and bad tranny ran 12.6.
Awesome! Thats exactly what im lookin for!

What ever you do always remember we got a-bodys also and some of us have alot of parts that are sitting around. I do so if you need something just say the word. I even got a 383 engine I cant decide what to do with.

Whether you want to use a 383, 400 or 440 plan on spending quite a few bucks. Such things as a BB 727 if you go auto, 8 3/4" rear minimum, subframe connectors, large 3 core rad. minimum and you'll be limited to either schmacher or TTI headers and neither are cheap. Schmacher also make the engine mounts and torque rods to fit a BB into an A body. Disc brakes upfront and 10" drums out back and I highly recommend power sterring. Also depending on what torsion bars are already in the car you find you may have to upsize them also. Small blocks will give you a lot more cheaper alternatives so it comes down to how much do you want to spend. :burnout:

BTW mines a BB, Terry

P6020033 (Custom).JPG

I would love to install a BB in my car but the price of changing everything out would be a lot $$. I've got the 8 3/4 but I would have to change the rest of the stuff. The options of a nicely built 360 would be nice and would be a lot easier to install because I've already got the small block stuff. But there isn't nothing like a good ole BB!

I dont think you'll be disapointed even if you go with a small block cause remember, small block mopars run like big block chevys-n-fords!!! And if you do decide to run a BB all that much better! MOPARS RULE! :angry4: :thumbup:

I have a 70 duster with a 440 in it. It is fairly tame, .508 cam, good cast heads, wiend intake, 750 edelbrock carb, 1 inch spacer, 10:1 compression, TTI headers, 2 1/2 exhaust, 727, no stall, 275/60 15 tires, discs up front, drums in the rear, no power brakes, no power steering, .920 t-bars. Car handles pretty good, goes like hell through the quarter, best to date 12.2 / 118 mph with a bad orange box ignition, upgrading to msd 6al this winter should be able to wind it past 5000 now. I would love to go with an Edelbrock performer RPM for this but I tried and it would not fit under the hood. Next year I will upgrade to power discs all the way around and add sway bars. This ***** does run.

-
Back