big block fuel pump pushrod

-

Vitamin c

Vitamin c
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
Best Machine, Farmington hills Mi. who is assembling the 383 stroker for my Valiant is concerned over using a mechanical fuel pump due to the poor quality of the new fuel pump pushrods. I have been told that the end or ends of the pushrod could wear very rapidly causing troubles early on, including metal in the oil, shortening of the pushrod length, and even mushrooming to the point that it is a problem to remove it from the block. Anyone have any thoughts on this?

...............Yes they wear, every bbm out there has that problem, there r millions running around every day.........u could prolly get 1 coated if it bothers u.......or r they saying they could possibly deny warranty?............ppl run ecectric pumps every day also, just look at newer cars/trucks.....Best Machine is 1 of the best out there, follow their advice...kim.....

...............Yes they wear, every bbm out there has that problem, there r millions running around every day.........u could prolly get 1 coated if it bothers u.......or r they saying they could possibly deny warranty?............ppl run ecectric pumps every day also, just look at newer cars/trucks.....Best Machine is 1 of the best out there, follow their advice...kim.....

yes I agree, Pete at best machine does nice work and i would take his advice. He is not saying he would deny warranty,or do not do it, but he's not liking my wanting to run a mechanical pump on this motor, maily due to seeing one of these pushrods fail on a customers motor recently. My goal here is to keep this car streetable, and not go through the noise, wiring, and plumbing of a electric pump. With an electric pump, you more than likely will have to upgrade the wiring harness to handle the load, and plumb in oil pressure sender for safety sake. When i put together my 69 swinger, i used and electric pump, upgraded the charging/wiring system and added the oil pressure sender, so i know what those upgrades are all about. I did call Mancini to get there take on this and ask what they new about failures and they indicated that there were some heat treating problems with some pushrods. they also show a brass tipped pushrod, but said that was for roller cammed motors. I will have a nitrided hydraulic flat tappet cam.

-
Back