Big Block heart attack

-

HQ383

Reaction score
Just brought a dart with a 383 in it, I have never had a Hemi before but I just went to change a hedder gasket and when I removed the first bolt at the front of the engine coolant pours out, went to the other side same thing.....what the ??? I have only had chev cars and never would of thought I would see this...is it normal?? looks like the bolt would go into the jacket as there is a plug nearby.

If its normal I will no doubt need to seal the bolts when they go back in.

Yes, something would be wrong if coolant did not come out of those two bolts. Use sealant on them when you put them back, there is normally studs in those two holes. FYI, the 383 is not a Hemi....

oh isnt a 383 a hemi, new to US muscle cars as I am from australia and have our own holden V8 and chevs the chyslers/mopar cars were not so popular.

BTW got the gasket out and its got 2 gaskets in there.....is this normal practice? its got the hooker fender hedders. I think its a sign someone had issues getting one to seal.

oh isnt a 383 a hemi, new to US muscle cars as I am from australia and have our own holden V8 and chevs the chyslers/mopar cars were not so popular.

BTW got the gasket out and its got 2 gaskets in there.....is this normal practice? its got the hooker fender hedders. I think its a sign someone had issues getting one to seal.

Yes your right to assume that the double gaskets mean they had a problem with header leaks. Since FW headers are easy to remove, you may want to have the flange suface trued to avoid leaks in the future. Alsp MLS type header gaskets like Percy's and other do a better job of sealing.

-
Back