Big Block Hemi in Duster and Hood

-

hawkgoalie31

Reaction score
Hello Fellow A bodiers,

I turn to you for you abundant knowledge once again! Long story short my father passed away and was in the process of putting a 392 Hemi in is 1934 split window coupe. Unfortunately, that didn't happen. So now I have acquired the motor and I want to put it in my1974 318 Duster that my dad and I actually restored when I was younger. I have a company/good mechanic that my father trusted that is going to do it for me. But I want to be prepared as I know its not going to be an easy swap.

1. What carb do you guys recommend?
2. Where can I find like an all black hood that I can just mount on? or what mods do i have to make to the hood?
3. How many original Hemi Dusters where produced.

Look forward to everyone's comments.

Thanks

I would rethink using that in the Duster. Better served in an early hot rod like your dad intended. IMHO
Get used hood...paint it.
Engine mounts/brackets, trans bracket all that will need to be fabbed. That engine is heavy. What will you use for a transmission? The early ones would have been cast iron, not aluminum.
I have seen it done. in 68-70 B bodies. I am sure there are guys here with first hand knowledge!

It’s your Duster do what you like but I wouldn’t consider using that engine in it. As stated they are better suited for early hot rods. Had it belonged to my dad I would purchase a nice run stand and stick it on there to fire it up every now and then.

re the tranny, there are lots of adapters to bolt (mostly gm admittedly) trans' to the early hemi. so that part's not hard, other than that it's normal non factory engine swap stuff like mounts, exhaust, radiator etc to make. all pretty easy really. don't be put off if it's what you want, go for it and make sure you do a build thread here too.
neil.

Agree. That first gen 392 has some value to the right person. Then install a 3rd gen Hemi in your Duster. My 2 cents.

-
Back