Big Block ID

-
Yep, maybe more. If that were mine, it would go in my 33 Imperial sedan.
Edit: pushrods and lifters are there (they would obviously be replaced) but that means a thousand dollar valvetrain is there, and the v covers are probably worth $200. So, how much Is a hemi block, heads, steel crank and rods worth?
I paid 500 for a complete 392 w/ 060 Jhans 12.5 pop ups. In 90.... left me even cheaper, stole outta the garage...

I paid 500 for a complete 392 w/ 060 Jhans 12.5 pop ups. In 90.... left me even cheaper, stole outta the garage...
My racing budy at the time acquired a 392 alcohol motor short block about that time, for not much money at all...... I wonder what happened to it.....
(His current project is a solid block Keith black stroker with a procharger.... for his avenger pro mod. )

My racing budy at the time acquired a 392 alcohol motor short block about that time, for not much money at all...... I wonder what happened to it.....
(His current project is a solid block Keith black stroker with a procharger.... for his avenger pro mod. )
That sounds like it gonna be eating Fords and Crappin Chevys!

Well, after doing some research. It appears that engine is a Marine/industrial engine, not sure of the value of that plus they say the valves me be filled sodium.

Well, after doing some research. It appears that engine is a Marine/industrial engine, not sure of the value of that plus they say the valves me be filled sodium.

No biggie, sodium filled exhaust valves just run cooler. Probably has hardened exhaust seats, and adjustable valve train. Dimples on the rocker covers? The picture at the bottom almost looks like a Desoto Hemi with the coolant holes in the block and none in the head. Is that the engine you are looking at? Do you have any numbers off the block?

No biggie, sodium filled exhaust valves just run cooler. Probably has hardened exhaust seats, and adjustable valve train. Dimples on the rocker covers? The picture at the bottom almost looks like a Desoto Hemi with the coolant holes in the block and none in the head. Is that the engine you are looking at? Do you have any numbers off the block?
The number on the block is 1330129.
Being that it is a marine/industrial, I've been told it devalues it considerably?

That's a good thing. The sodium filled valves you'll want to pitch in the trash. They have a bad reputation for the stems cracking. Once that happens and moisture gets to the sodium, the stems will explode. Other than that, that is a really heavy duty engine. My 331 is just like it. They have more meat in the heads, hardened valve seat inserts, and if it's the real truck/industrial heads, they flow better than any of the 392 heads ever made. They are every bit as good as the famed "triple nickle" heads on the 354. The block has a pretty strong chance of being an "extended service" block, which means it can be bored MANY times. Most can to at least to and possibly beyond 4". Sonic test of course to be sure. It might be worth looking into.

Being that it is a marine/industrial, I've been told it devalues it considerably?
Good. Let them believe that stupid ****. Go in acting like it's a POS and get it cheap.......because it's not.

That's really not the number you need. What you're looking for is a STAMPED number behind the timing cover in top of the block JUST in front of where the intake valley is.....kinda on the exposed part of the china wall. Here's an example of what it "might be".
Something like this. C541-8-1001 That kinda thing is what you're lookin for.,

That's really not the number you need. What you're looking for is a STAMPED number behind the timing cover in top of the block JUST in front of where the intake valley is.....kinda on the exposed part of the china wall. Here's an example of what it "might be".
Something like this. C541-8-1001 That kinda thing is what you're lookin for.,
Rusty, does it matter that it has the extra water holes. From the looks of it it appears to have 2 sets of water pump water ways/holes in the front of the block?
Thanks again for all the info

Yeah, easy 3-4K on that. I went to a local estate auction a few years back where there was two 392 hemi's at the guys estate sale. I figured I could pick up at least one of them fairly reasonable since most likely there wouldn't be many if any others that knew what they were let alone would be interested in them.

WRONG! A couple of guys were bidding along with me, but ONE guy was determined to outbid me no matter what. I bid up to $3500 on both, he took home both of them.

I should clarify that, I bid to $3500 on EACH, and got neither one. Not $3500 for both.

Last edited:
-
Back