Big block + large rad + Mechanical fans = what fits?

-

zac_F71

Reaction score
I'm curious about what mechanical fans people are running? I have a 3 row aluminum rad. with 10" electric fans that I'm not sure if they will keep up.. I tried to fit a oem clutch fan.. but it stuck out to far and was in the rad basically...

A friend of mine was saying a Chevy clutch that has a shorter shaft will work has anyone tried this or know what works?

All I can say is with the 69 factory set-up I am running it is just fine. Look up the factory parts, they work when all the components are in good shape. A bigger flow pump and t-stat will help. I do not think if you get a Mopar clutch/thermo unit it will fit the A-Body stock BB set-up! I am using an 033 68 radiator but the demensions are the same.

I have heard that a clutch from a jag works. Clearence is tight!

I have a 383 on a motor plate with 3 core champion radiator, mesier electric pump in stock housing and a single 16" permacool fan....my fan has about 1/8 inch maybe to the water pump, but if you have a few inches maybe a flex fan would clear for u?

Electric fans stink!! Been down that road long ago. If you want one as an aux pusher ok! Otherwise stay mechanical JMO! I can assure that a 10" aint going to cut it and 2 just gives mounting and shroud closure issues that actually restict flow.

Electric fans stink!! Been down that road long ago. If you want one as an aux pusher ok! Otherwise stay mechanical JMO!

Only if you use crappy fans and switches. An electric fan set up is only as good as its controller.

The OE ford contour dual electric fan set up I use on my 26" champion radiator kicks the crap out of every mechanical fan I tried to run. And it was less expensive than a lot of aftermarket electric fan set ups. I like it so much I'll probably convert my challenger over too.

Only if you use crappy fans and switches. An electric fan set up is only as good as its controller.

The OE ford contour dual electric fan set up I use on my 26" champion radiator kicks the crap out of every mechanical fan I tried to run. And it was less expensive than a lot of aftermarket electric fan set ups. I like it so much I'll probably convert my challenger over too.

Did you modify the core support for the 26"?

I'm using a 3673027 radiator, with a clutch fan.
It's for a 73 "B" body 318/340 with A/C 26"
had to removed and re weld the mounts to move the radiator forward, so the fan would clear.

003_zpsnlqs8bnx.jpg

011_zpsyntxd69k.jpg

Did you modify the core support for the 26"?

No, it's not necessary. The contour fan shroud set up covers the entire core on the back side, so it pulls air through the whole thing when the fans are running. The core support only blocks a little over an inch on each side of the core in the front, and even that is still exposed to air, just not directly exposed. I've never had my fans stay on while I was moving faster than 15 mph or so, not even in 110* weather. Heck during the winter I considered making a panel to obscure more of the core like a long haul trucker because I was always running right at the thermostat temp with the fans never coming on.

Champion 3 row rad in 72swinger with a 440. Had about 2 3/4inches to work with between rad and water pump. I got a derale flex fan with 1" spacer. Clears rad by 1/2. I'd much rather have a clutch setup..but this was the easiest solution for now. Not one person has ever posted how far forward that jag clutch/fan setup extends forward. I know how long that jag clutch is....but the wild card is the fan....as the fan will protrude forward and rearward of the mounting surface of the clutch. Derale actually posted specific dimensions....which is why I went with them. I'm still wanting a clutch setup though.....

I have a "bolt in" aluminum rad, pretty sure is a 22" that has 3 - 1/2" rows, I cannot cut and reweld at this time or I would.. but that would only gain 3/8" or so..

I have a "bolt in" aluminum rad, pretty sure is a 22" that has 3 - 1/2" rows, I cannot cut and reweld at this time or I would.. but that would only gain 3/8" or so..
28x19 crossflow griffin, 2 row 1 1/4" tubes, w/ 17" factory steel fan, 1/2" alum. spacer. didn`t need to cut the opening on a 68 fastback form S.

-
Back