Big Block oil pan selection B body.

-

340dartley

Reaction score
I know not A body related but I also own a B body. The B body message boards are not near as active so I figured I might ask this here too. If it is not allowed forgive me and feel free to remove the thread.

I am just about ready to finish my engine and I am trying to decide which oil pan to install. Motor is going into my 1968 Plymouth Satellite. It has a high volume oil pump. Car will be used for cruising and Drag racing.
I have 2 oil pans in the garage now.
1 is the stock replacement from Summit chrome pan. Think it holds 4 quarts plus thefilter. I also have 5 quart pan but will have to get it hot tanked as no amount of scrubbing is getting it clean. I will also have to squire a pickup to match that pan. 3rd option is buy an aftermarket pan. Jegs has a nice looking pan for around 100 that holds 7 quarts. I will need a pick up also for it. I am on a very tight budget. Does anyone else have any experience with the Jegs pan or any suggestions. Thanks . I willalso be running a MP windage tray. Here is the link to the Jegs pan.http://www.jegs.com/i/JEGS-Performa...BBGbElFQpMoYCJj9iQwwJ28D6QEwMmW0aAngqEALw_wcB

I had that same pan in a 68 Satellite.
it is now going into a 72 Swinger
like the deeper sump for drag racing.
I don't run a windage tray because it has a girdle instead

026.JPG

I had that same pan in a 68 Satellite.
it is now going into a 72 Swinger
like the deeper sump for drag racing.
I don't run a windage tray because it has a girdle instead

View attachment 1715091322
If I go with that pan I need to find the pick up. Jegs didn't list one with it. Descriptions said it used the stock pick up which doesn't seem correct .

stock will fit, just doesn't sit as deep into the pan.

went out and got a pic
the left - 19" long (truck>rear sump)
middle- milodon 13" (center sump / deep sump)
right -stock 12" (center sump - stock)

SAM_4813.JPG

Last edited:
I know not A body related but I also own a B body. The B body message boards are not near as active so I figured I might ask this here too. If it is not allowed forgive me and feel free to remove the thread.

I am just about ready to finish my engine and I am trying to decide which oil pan to install. Motor is going into my 1968 Plymouth Satellite. It has a high volume oil pump. Car will be used for cruising and Drag racing.
I have 2 oil pans in the garage now.
1 is the stock replacement from Summit chrome pan. Think it holds 4 quarts plus thefilter. I also have 5 quart pan but will have to get it hot tanked as no amount of scrubbing is getting it clean. I will also have to squire a pickup to match that pan. 3rd option is buy an aftermarket pan. Jegs has a nice looking pan for around 100 that holds 7 quarts. I will need a pick up also for it. I am on a very tight budget. Does anyone else have any experience with the Jegs pan or any suggestions. Thanks . I willalso be running a MP windage tray. Here is the link to the Jegs pan.http://www.jegs.com/i/JEGS-Performa...BBGbElFQpMoYCJj9iQwwJ28D6QEwMmW0aAngqEALw_wcB
I used that Jeg's pan on my 451 in my 74 charger. You might call them, pretty sure mine came with the pickup tube but I could be mistaken. its been a few years(10)

Did you check Mancini? I think they sell a 7 quart with a pickup around a hundred bucks.

Moroso 7 quart.

I run in my 69 Barracuda until such time I can pull for the repro 893. No issues in my A, but a slight rub on hard right turn. Should work well in a B Body!

This is what I have under my 440 in a 1969 GTX. Very well built. In fact the first one I bought lol got crunched by a big dip in the road. Never spilled a drop. I welded in a hemi skid plate and tightened the torsion bars and it hasn't been an issue since. I did need to straighten the rails a bit. And on the pickup I opened up the punched holes to the next size up. I like it.
BB Mopar 7 qt Steel Oil Pan and Pickup Tube - Center Sump 383 400 B 413 440 RB | eBay

20170424_175207.jpg
20170514_191907.jpg

20170413_142841.jpg

-
Back