Big block oil slinger Do I need?

-

Slappy

Reaction score
I installed my timing chain and basically put everything back and found the oil slinger thing that sits behind the timing cover on the floor. It goes between cover and lower gear. Whoops! so how important is this little disc?? Ive been told they can be left off of small blocks but this is my first big block.

it just helps keep oil on the chain not sure if you can leave it off or not

it is meant to be there. you know its not in there so if it goes wrong down the road you will look back and wish you had put it in there. a little labor and a few bucks for some gaskets is worth it to me. just my .02

Whether it acts as an oil slinger, helps shield the seal from excess oil or both, you'll probably be fine without it - unless you're OCD like some of us. Those that run without them, report no ill effect. Course, if you develop an oil leak at the seal then you'll know and... I'd put one in. Whoops, there's that OCD kicking in.

Who out there runs without one? Anybody? Thanks for all the help.

A google search for: chrysler BB oil slinger
will turn up various opinions/explanations/theories.

i have a few around the shop in cans because you don't need them. on some timing cover set-ups you can't even install them.don't worry about it, save a few bucks and time, leave it out.

Well I appreciate the info guys. I tore it back down today. Waiting for timing cover gasket to come in tomorrow.

-
Back