Big block stroker exhaust question

-

Reaction score
I'm planning to put a 522 stroker that will have 600 fp of torque around 4000 rpm in my '69 Super Bee. I'd like to put TTi exhaust system in- headers, x pipe and full pipes to the rear bumper.

The general consensus from people so far is that 3" pipes are the best route. I'm not opposed to letting the car breathe, but am concerned about heat in the cabin. Anyone have any thoughts on if 3" is the right way to go, or how to address the potential heat issue?

I was also considering cut outs / dumpers. Will they help or hinder when I go to the track? Would they be a good solution vs. going for 3"?

I've also been thinking a drive shaft loop will be necessary, due to the power. However, I'm concerned about clearance issues with a loop, an X pipe, cutouts, etc. Anyone have an idea or solution for that?

I called TTi today. I guy named Mike said he doesn't think their X pipe will clear a drive shaft loop. He also said that TTi doesn't make dumpers for a '69 B body.

TTi did refer me to US Car Tool because they have a drive shaft loop. Honestly, I hadn't heard of US Car Tool before. Here's what I found:

dloop2.jpg

Fits All A, B & E body cars
Small blocks, Big Blocks and Hemi
Automatics (727 & 904) and 4-speed
7260, 7290 and 1350 U-joints
5" ID loop for Stock or extra large diameter racing driveshaft
Stock Exhaust - Single and Dual - including headers
H Pipe Cars (Factory Hemi & 440-6 pack)
Most aftermarket large H & X pipe cars (TTi etc.)

Thanks for your thoughts.

with that size motor 2" headers would be good. they usually have 3 1/2" collectors. i put 3 1/2" pipes on mine and it was perfect with no more heat than any other size pipe. you don't really need a cross over pipe, they just let the motor idle a tad smoother. the bigger pipes will let the motor produce all the torque it can make. by the way that loop is the tits.

with that size motor 2" headers would be good. they usually have 3 1/2" collectors. i put 3 1/2" pipes on mine and it was perfect with no more heat than any other size pipe. you don't really need a cross over pipe, they just let the motor idle a tad smoother. the bigger pipes will let the motor produce all the torque it can make. by the way that loop is the tits.
dam I have to agree with bob again.my self I didnt like the sound of my xpipes sounded to much like a mustang..

Good to hear on the loop.

I'd like to get the idle as smooth as possible.

I had TTi headers, an X pipe and 40 series Flowmasters on my old Demon. It definitely didn't sound like a Mustang...

That driveshaft loop is the same one I purchased from Mancini Racing. You might call them because they sell TTI products also.

That driveshaft loop is the same one I purchased from Mancini Racing. You might call them because they sell TTI products also.

I e-mailed them yesterday. If I don't hear back tomorrow, I'll call them.

Second that, I bought one there too. It`s a heavy duty piece, had great fit with stock stuff but it wouldn`t work with my replacement trans so I sold it to a member here. There`s a copy made of aluminum that weighs a fraction of the weight of this one. Weight also becomes an issue when you go to three inch pipes, especially over the axle. I have a full, x-pipe, over the axle w/tips, 3" mandrel bent system on my Barracuda and it is quite heavy! I would not be surprised if the entire system weighs over 100 pounds!

what strokes that 522 gonna be? 4.25? thats gonna make the piston dwell at the top a long time for a street motor.Gonna be hard to keep it from detonating.

does tti make these or will he have to go with hooker s/c,s?

Mancini says that the TTI X pipe and the US Car Tool loop on their site won't fit.

If you want a real set of headers designed for your car talk to the experts at Burns stainless. Not all these in a box headers.

-
Back