Big block swap for my '66 Barracuda

-

hotrod19611

Reaction score
Hey Folks!! Been a while since I was on here. Lots of kool stuff to catch up on. Here's what i'm doing,,,a 440 or 383 swap into my 66 Barracuda. The body is in decent shape but needs some work. Floors are great. Originally a 318/automatic. To fully restore this car would go way beyond budget so I'm turning it into a street fighter!! What I would like to get is some input on this swap. What would you guys suggest? I have the motors. Both are good and will be rebuilt/freshened up with usual mods like cam, heads, intake, etc. Any ideas or suggestions would be taken in consideration. Maaybe someone out there has a better way than I planned. Either reply to this post or send me a PM. Thanks!!!!,,,,,,,,Charlie

Swapping a BB in a '66 Barracuda is possible, but not a simple drop in. The engine bay is tight even for a small block. You'll have to ditch power steering if so equipped. Not a big deal with these cars though. Headers are always an issue with early A's. With a big block, fenderwell style headers are probably your only option. I have seen this work before, but I've never done this swap myself. I'm not trying to discourage you, I'm just saying its a lot more work than dropping in a hot small block. Plus it will be a little nose heavy with the big block. Got any pics? We like pics!!:burnout:

I knew about the header deal. Fenderwells are what I plan on. I have a nasty stroker 360 motor I originally built for the car but I was deciding more in favor for the RB motor. Actually I have 2 of these cars. A 4 speed and an automatic. Was just thinking a big block 4 speed would the thing for me!! But,,,that 408 motor seems more feesible after all. Appreciate the input.

,,,and pictures are soon to come! So stay tuned Sports Fans!!!

Built a mild 408.Rubber everywhere. The oil pump shaft ,snapped Please do the 408. Buy stock in your favorite tire company....

Ok,,,,My 408 is the second one I built. First was in my 86 Dakota. And yes it did smoke those Firstone 275/60/15's something fierce!! Looks like the small block is going in after all!!

-
Back