big block timing

-

408Dartman

Reaction score
I have a question about 440 timing... I have a friend with a 440 and the book he has (stock mopar book) says 10°-12° at 2200 rpm although everyone else says run 34°-36° total timing, that mark is not even on his timing cover. All I know is I set it at 12° at 2200rpm, idle ends up being 0°. His car is a mild build 440 with a mopar purple cam equivelent and my magnum 318 with bolt-on will beat it easy... something isn't right... Can you guys help out??

the 10-12 is initial timing and total mechanical (vacuum disconnected) is 34-36*. see if you can acces a dial back timing light so you can set the total mechanical advance @ 36* at say 2600rpm. then see what the initial drops back to at idle . If its somewhere close to 14* he should be okay. If its a lot less - say 6-8 then he needs the dizzy recurved to get the initial back in the 14* range.

the 10-12 is initial timing and total mechanical (vacuum disconnected) is 34-36*. see if you can acces a dial back timing light so you can set the total mechanical advance @ 36* at say 2600rpm. then see what the initial drops back to at idle . If its somewhere close to 14* he should be okay. If its a lot less - say 6-8 then he needs the dizzy recurved to get the initial back in the 14* range.

okay, cool. I have a dial back light, but his was not. So I will check it again like you said and if it comes out really low again, I'll tell to him recurve it.

Thanks so Much!!

-
Back