Big Block turquoise on my 1969 340

-

1fine69

Reaction score
OK guys, after reading mutiple threads on '69 340 engine colors I decided to go with the big block turquoise. I also researched vendors and decided Bill Hirsch was the engine paint guru from what I had read. Started painting piece parts today and have a real concern about the color. It looks a little too green to me!!! Please see attached photos and give me your thoughts as I am about to call Bill and ask for a refund. I do not want to do this twice!!

Maybe the color gets lighter with age/heat?

PS. I painted over light gray epoxy primer.

Attachments

• P1010078.jpg
    126.9 KB · Views: 327
  • P1010079.jpg
    139 KB · Views: 294
  • P1010080.jpg
    83.4 KB · Views: 393
  • P1010082.jpg
    32.5 KB · Views: 255
It does look a little on the green side but I have seen big blocks, especially 383s for some reason, in that color.

I did my 68 Barracuda 383 in the mopar turquorise and thought it didn't look right at first too. But after you get it all together I'm sure you'll find it is right.

My engine wasn't super detailed but here is a picture I took at some point after it went back in the car.

Attachments

• 3nf3kb3oa5O25Pd5S4a269477c7f8969c1c6b.jpg
    20 KB · Views: 273
I did my 68 Barracuda 383 in the mopar turquorise and thought it didn't look right at first too. But after you get it all together I'm sure you'll find it is right.

My engine wasn't super detailed but here is a picture I took at some point after it went back in the car.
Your paint looks more on the blue side like I thought it should be. But I also have read that some people believe the mopar paint is too blue.

I am so confused!!!!!!!

It does look a little on the green side but I have seen big blocks, especially 383s for some reason, in that color.
Any engine pics of your Newports. According to everyone "in the know", they should be turquoise, right?

I don't have the greatest picture of the '70 Newport but I'll see whats there. Don't have any pictures of the '71 on the computer right now and that car is all original.

I remember my bone stock 383 paint and it was a lighter color than what you have.... it had more blue in it... however you're VERY close to what it was on my block.

I just checked out Eastwoods Big block turquoise and it looks the same as what I got from Hirsch Automotive. Don't mean to be anal, but after 40 hours of blasting, straightening, priming, sanding, and cleaning I do not want to F#$K this up!

I don't have a good picture but it doesn't match the big blocks in both Newport's (The '70 was repainted when it was restored using Chrysler Engine Blue from the Dodge dealership) Their both a little lighter and a little bluer. However I looked at my '65 413 and its almost dead on. Personally I like the turquoise that you have.

Not sure why one would say only "big block turquoise". It is factory 340 turquoise as well. This is a vintage 1978 MOPAR turquoise from Direct Connection. Perfect match for original 340 color.
Tom Hand

Attachments

• driv side 340.jpg
    68.3 KB · Views: 245
Not sure why one would say only "big block turquoise". It is factory 340 turquoise as well. This is a vintage 1978 MOPAR turquoise from Direct Connection. Perfect match for original 340 color.
Tom Hand
I only call it big block turquoise because thats what the vendors call it. There is so much inconsistancy on the '69 340 color that I was starting to doubt if I would ever really know. This is the first 340 I have seen with the dark turquoise! Most of them are blue and alot of the so called turquoise is very light blue green. Thanks for the photo. I am starting to feel a little better now!

im thinking the way to go is to find the paint code and have some urethane mixed up. i used the eastwood blue, i didnt really like the color, but that wasnt a big deal. its going to get dirty. a few jet changes and the paint lifted like crazy. i had the intake covered in rags and caught the fuel in a cup, wiped up any that spilled imediately, and it still lifted even with the recomended activator to make it even more durable. i did use epoxy primer and i guess they could use that as an excuse if i complained to them. the eastwood paint lifts but the primer is bullet proof.

-
Back