Big Block Weight Differences

-
I don't want to Hijack the thread, but this reminds me of the discussions I have seen here before about BB A Bodies vs SB A Bodies. I had always thought that a 440 in an A body would be nose heavy and hard to drive. Someone here (I think it was @RustyRatRod) set me straight on that. He said that a 440 with aluminum heads, aluminum intake, aluminum water pump and headers weighed about the same as a stock 340 with factory exhaust manifolds. And those cars were certainly not nose heavy.
The member who can really lay it out for us is @abodyjoe. He had the little 64 Valiant with the 440 and said it drove great. Maybe he'll chime in.

The member who can really lay it out for us is @abodyjoe. He had the little 64 Valiant with the 440 and said it drove great. Maybe he'll chime in.

yup. they can handle just fine with a big block.. now with 50 year old wore out slant six bars up fron it sucked. i ended up going with a 383 bar up front and it made all the difference in the world. these days i'd end up with a 1" plus bar but they weren't available back then.

-
Back