Big block with column shift

-

69GT

Reaction score
I am trying to convert my original floor shift 69 Dart to a column shift (I know, I know, you don't have to say it :D) and things aren't working out. I bought a set of column shift linkage from a 340/727 A-body as I was told it would work with a big block. But, when mounting the z-bar/torque shaft, the trans. bracket with the bushing in it sits up higher that the frame bracket causing the z-bar to be on a significant angle. I guess the mounting ear on the big block trans. is higher up than on a small block 727. So, I was just curious if anyone here is running a low deck big block A-body with a column shift and if so, what parts did you use to get it to work?

1702248832914.png

I assume the circled part that bolts to the transmission is the part that's too high on the big block transmission.
If so, flip it upside down and bolt it to the underside of the transmission mount and that should drop it down a couple inches or more.

I tried that. The way it is shaped/contoured it won't mount on the underside properly.

I tried that. The way it is shaped/contoured it won't mount on the underside properly.
The way what is shaped? The bracket or the mount? I don't mean to sound snarky, but it's a non-stock application; so a bit of necessary modification is to be expected...
A picture of the issue would help.

Last edited:
I asked that question quite some time back. I had several replies on people that have done it.

The way what is shaped? The bracket or the mount? I don't mean to sound snarky, but it's a non-stock application; so a bit of necessary modification is to be expected...
A picture of the issue would help.
The bracket. Doesn't matter anyway because when I tried attaching it to the underside of the trans. mount, even if I could make it fit it would put the shaft hole in the bracket lower than the frame bracket so it still wouldn't work

I'm still trying to figure this out. If any members who have put a column shift in your car with a big block would chime in I'd appreciate it. I'd like to know specifically what parts you had to use.

I have a set from a 71 Demon but like I said, the two frame and transmission brackets for the torque shaft don't line up. The shaft is on a downward angle from the trans. to the frame.

I don't currently have any pics but I think I figured out what is wrong. The bracket that goes on the trans. appears to be the wrong one. It is a straight L shape and from looking online, I believe it is supposed to be L shaped but with a dip in it where the two flats meet to make the corner. Will have to look for one.

-
Back