Big Brake Kit

-

CanadianGT

Reaction score
I've been tossing the idea of making a big brake kit for a couple vehicles I have(my 68 Dart and my 98 Ram) that for me will be cheaper then buying a pre made set that only comes with a one piston caliper or a two piston caliper(I've seen anywhere from 2-4 grand us for one pair of calipers, rotors and brackets) my plan the calipers cost 600 bucks us each and their 6 piston lightweight race calipers.

For the front:
For calipers I've chosen Willwood Superlite SL6R/14 calipers:
3270_1_tn.jpg

I'm going to go with a pair of 14" x1 1/4" disc rotors that bolt to a brake hat. They cost about 350 bucks a rotor.
I'm going to custom make brake hats out of 6160 Aluminum that I can buy from work.
And I'll mill caliper mounting brackets out of I'm hoping to use the same 6160 aluminum type of material

For the rear:
Same calipers and rotors.
Custom made Cast iron hats sized to house custom made ebrake components from a smaller import or domestic(think neon, integra andthing with a drum brake size in the rear of around 7" -rotor inside diameter is 8")
Custom made caliper/ebrake mount of 6160 Aluminum.

Reason I'm doing this is because I can make most of the components at work myself(CNC Machine shop)

I'm thinking of doing this big kit for my brakes first before doing a bunch of engine work just to keep the safety up.

In total I'm not looking at a huge amount of cash into this project more of time and effort of taking measurements and trial and error.

I plan on sharing the plans once I get the project successful so If anyone else is interested it'll take me a while(a year or so) to do this project but I think it'll be worth it. I know it's a little overboard on the braking power(6 piston calipers on 4 wheels talk about :eek: ) It's just the price i can get the 6 piston calipers for is about 50 bucks more then the same type of caliper with 4 pistons so it's one of those why not things.

Just wondering what you guys think about my plan and how possible it'll be. total price before shipping for calipers, rotors, and pads before shipping is 3746.38
which compaired to a SSBC kit(front disc brake version-$1000, optional perfomance aluminum 2 piston caliper-$1000, and another thousand for a single piston rear disc conversion kit. So theirs is only about 3K but I want more performance then 2 piston and single piston caliper but theres others like baer who offer kits for like 3-4K depending on application but only for the front.

-
Back