Big red flag!

-

TrailBeast

AKA Mopars4us on Youtube
Reaction score
Saw this car for sale for a lot of money, and saw what is to me a huge red flag and a couple other pieces of good information if I was a perspective buyer.
Car is idling at 900 or so.

What do these four gauges tell us about the possible condition of this car boys and girls?

IMG_4715.jpeg

Runs ice cold, is out of gas.. the alternator works.. and... the oil pump is relaxing and not pushing itself hard.. and the camera has oil all over the lens? :)

Main bearings are toast. Either that or the sump is clogged with sludge and pieces of the original nylon teeth from the cam gear. Needs a full sending unit. And he jump started the dead battery.

Runs ice cold, is out of gas.. the alternator works.. and... the oil pump is relaxing and not pushing itself hard.. and the camera has oil all over the lens? :)

It was a fresh startup so here’s what I saw when I paused the video and went back to see the gauges again since they just passed them fairly quickly.
1. Fuel gauge would read at the empty line if it was low on fuel, not all the way over the E.
It’s either disconnected from the sender or the sender is broken.

2. Oil pressure is awfully low for an engine not up to temp.
Imagine what it’s going to read at idle when at running temp.
(Worn out motor)

So far we have a worn motor and some non functional electrics.

The video wasn’t very clear in the first place, because the camera in the video was moving.
Then taking the picture of a paused video on a 42 inch screen made it even worse.
:D

It was a fresh startup so here’s what I saw when I paused the video and went back to see the gauges again since they just passed them fairly quickly.
1. Fuel gauge would read at the empty line if it was low on fuel, not all the way over the E.
It’s either disconnected from the sender or the sender is broken.

2. Oil pressure is awfully low for an engine not up to temp.
Imagine what it’s going to read at idle when at running temp.
(Worn out motor)

So far we have a worn motor and some non functional electrics.

The video wasn’t very clear in the first place, because the camera in the video was moving.
Then taking the picture of a paused video on a 42 inch screen made it even worse.
:D
IDK, seems like a giant logic gap in those conclusions.

If your assumption is that the fuel gauge is incorrect, why would you assume the oil pressure gauge is correct?

They are all part of the same cluster and assuming it’s a sending unit issue equally applies to all of the gauges.

First best conclusion is that ALL of the gauges are inaccurate and that means any reading of system performance needs to be obtained through independent measurement using alternative measuring devices before any meaningful conclusion can be made.

IDK, seems like a giant logic gap in those conclusions.

If your assumption is that the fuel gauge is incorrect, why would you assume the oil pressure gauge is correct?

They are all part of the same cluster and assuming it’s a sending unit issue equally applies to all of the gauges.

First best conclusion is that ALL of the gauges are inaccurate and that means any reading of system performance needs to be obtained through independent measurement using alternative measuring devices before any meaningful conclusion can be made.

Absolutely agree on you can’t trust any of it completely, but the point I was trying to make was the instant indications one should get from what they saw right then and there with that information to go on.

-
Back