Bigger wheels for 60 Valiant

-

slantflat

Reaction score
Hi everyone.

Yet another wheel/tire question. I searched the forum but didn't really find what I was looking for. This is for my 60 Valiant V200.

What width are the 14" wheels that came on the 68 Valiant? And what is the widest tire I can safely run? And would it make a whole hell of a lot of difference than the 185-80-13's that I have on there now? I have a set of 14" wheels on a parts car I could clean up.

What size 15" tire could I use and still be close to the stock height of the 13" tires? I don't want the car to have that too tall look, I want it to look stock. I'm going to be driving on the expressway a lot and while it doesn't do too badly now, I want to give it every chance to ride and perform as best it can. Also, if I got 15s they'd probably be 6in rims, would that be too wide to use without any bodywork?

Thanks everyone.

The 14 small wheel would be a 5 inch wide. If you get lucky you might find the 5.5 like an S would have come with. Not sure how to tell you on the 15's, you would just have to look at the tire spec. I had never seen 15 inch wheels with that 4 inch bolt circle. They might be out there but I have not seen them.

Stockton (and others) will make you 15 in wheels with the 5 on 4 pattern in any width you want

I have 15 X 6 and 15 X 7 steel wheels in the small bolt pattern. Also ralley style in small 4 inch bolt pattern..

Frank

I just found this out. A guy I know put 205-60-15 on his 63 Valiant. Wheels are 80s Dodge truck, 6.5 wide. He said those trucks have the same bolt pattern as the cars. Weird. I'm going to look into it.

Thanks everyone for the responses.

The only way a wheel off that truck would fit on that car is someone changed the bolt pattern to 4.5 on the car. There is no way a truck would have a 4 inch bolt pattern.

Frank

Hm. My friend did say it was 4.5x5. That must have gotten past me. Why would the bolt pattern change between the Toad and the 63? I thought bolt patterns stayed the same pretty much forever. Guess I'll keep looking.

Hi Im running 15" x 6" wheels on my Aussie 62 Val, Im running 195/60 15 tyres, no clearance issues. The wheels are American racing Turbine with the 4" centres, and the car is lowered an inch

Car use to have 15" x 6" Classic wires with 225 60 tyres. With the Classic wire adaptors and 4" backset on the wheels the clipped the front guard on full lock

The 15" wheels with 195/60 tyres are the same rolling diameter as the 14" wheels and tyre originally fitted to the car in Oz

Cheers

View attachment 1715222028 View attachment 1715222030
Val  ANU-1.JPG

Val  ANU-1.JPG

Shiny that car looks familiar. Do you ever take it to Chryslers On The Murray? What bolt pattern does your car have? I know the later Valiants used a Ford bolt pattern.

Shiny that car looks familiar. Do you ever take it to Chryslers On The Murray? What bolt pattern does your car have? I know the later Valiants used a Ford bolt pattern.

Hi Slantfat,

Yes, I had it there this year

The wheels have the original 4" bolt pattern with a 3.5" off set
American Racing had no problems drilling to that pattern for me

Cheers

-
Back