Biggest Tire In Stock Wheel Well?

-

805moparkid

Slant and AFX Guy
Reaction score
i have a 68 Dodge Dart that im swapping a 8.75 into and would like to know the biggest tire while not rubbing in stock wheel wells. i have XHD V8 springs on it. i want to run a 29" or 30" by like 10" on a 15x9" rim... possible?

the reason for the height is that im running 3.91's and its a daily driver.

I have 235/60-15s mounted on cop car wheels on the Demon. They are very snug in the front wheel wells. I tried 255s out back, but went to 235 when I found they would not fit up front. They will fit, but there's very little lateral room with the springs in the stock location. You might get that large of a tire to fit under the wheel well if the leaf springs are moved inboard. I can't see how you'd be able to do it otherwise.

I have a 68 Dart w/ 8 3/4. After reading a zillion posts, I determined that I wanted to run 245/60-15 out back 15 by 8 and 215/60-15 on 15 by 7 in front.

Some have run 255s w/o any rubbing or spring offsets, but it's close. I doubt those 9" will fit. What's the offset? I have my wheels being made now, with 4.5" offset.

Pete

i dn't have the rims or tires yet. i was just wondering what would fit. on the front im just gonna run like 15x5 or something skinny

i have a 68 Dodge Dart that im swapping a 8.75 into and would like to know the biggest tire while not rubbing in stock wheel wells. i have XHD V8 springs on it. i want to run a 29" or 30" by like 10" on a 15x9" rim... possible?

the reason for the height is that im running 3.91's and its a daily driver.
DOT slick? street radial?
with the slick mabey a 28x10.. 9 is more like it.
radial 255 or 275/60/15. the 275 is a toss up, you may have to do some clearancing on the inside wheel lip
and depending how tight the leafs are, they may rub around hard coners.

i have 255/70/15 indy 500's on keystone klassics 15x7 3.75 inch Backspacing, and they are like 29 1/5 inches tall
P1010023.JPG

i did need to cut some, but it was an incorrect body line that a shop made with bondo, so i think they would fit stock just barely

You Duster/Demon guys have wider rear wheel wells, than the Dart/Valiant crowd.

this question comes up alot. people want to know the widest tire possible but you cant always go by number of what people use (i.e. 245,255 and so on). tire companies dont have the exact same sizes, some can be up to a half inch difference and both say 245 on the tire. i went with a low profile set up and fit 255/40/18 on my 68 dart and i grinded off the inner quarter lip a little just to be safe. id say your best bet is to pick what exact tire you want first and i know certain tire shops can type in the tire and size and show you the exact size of the tire in inches. also the rim width will change how fat the sidewalls get. or see if one of your car buddies has a similar set up that you want and ask to throw the tires on your car to see how it fits. hope that helped, goodluck with it

DOT slick? street radial?
with the slick mabey a 28x10.. 9 is more like it.
radial 255 or 275/60/15. the 275 is a toss up, you may have to do some clearancing on the inside wheel lip
and depending how tight the leafs are, they may rub around hard coners.

yea a street radial. and this thing won't be taking hard corners ever! so a 275/60/15

this question comes up alot. people want to know the widest tire possible but you cant always go by number of what people use (i.e. 245,255 and so on). tire companies dont have the exact same sizes, some can be up to a half inch difference and both say 245 on the tire. i went with a low profile set up and fit 255/40/18 on my 68 dart and i grinded off the inner quarter lip a little just to be safe. id say your best bet is to pick what exact tire you want first and i know certain tire shops can type in the tire and size and show you the exact size of the tire in inches. also the rim width will change how fat the sidewalls get. or see if one of your car buddies has a similar set up that you want and ask to throw the tires on your car to see how it fits. hope that helped, goodluck with it

i would go with like a 8 or 9 inch rim cuz i like the buldgeing rear tires look

I have 255/60-15`s on a 7" rim on my Dart with room for a little more. With the right backset you can probably manage a 275/60 in the wheelwell.

275/60/15 will hit spring mine are 8.8 wide and 28.1 tall bf drag radial
I had to move springs in mopar sells offset spring hangers I think they move it in .75 inches and they are pretty cheap and easy to install
you cant go taller than 29 inches tall they will hit front of rear fender opening
also probably not recommended but I run a 7 in wide wheel for the fatter bulging look and they hooked better at the track
getting the backspacing right is critical and probably better than just asking would be to look up a post on how to properly measure for the correct backspacing it is really easy and would insure that you didnt waste your money on a set of incorrect wheels
also the backspacing if you are running the stock a body rear axle width is going to be a custom order I dont know of any stock wheels that would work but maybe someone else does
I narrowed my axle while I was rebuilding it because you can use all of weld, centerline, or summit brand alum star wheels in standard offsets and they dont hit the outer fender lip with the bigger tires on them
the extra money that it cost to narrow the axle was offset by being able to purchase used standard wheels from ebay the standard offset summit 7 in wheels are only $100 new
I like to switch wheels and now I run rally wheels on the street with spacers
and when I go to the track or am going to rip on it I switch to the alum wheels with drag radials and no spacers and that also lets me run the new challenger/charger 18 in wheels for the ladies
hope that helps

275/60/15 will hit spring mine are 8.8 wide and 28.1 tall bf drag radial
I had to move springs in mopar sells offset spring hangers I think they move it in .75 inches and they are pretty cheap and easy to install
you cant go taller than 29 inches tall they will hit front of rear fender opening
also probably not recommended but I run a 7 in wide wheel for the fatter bulging look and they hooked better at the track
getting the backspacing right is critical and probably better than just asking would be to look up a post on how to properly measure for the correct backspacing it is really easy and would insure that you didnt waste your money on a set of incorrect wheels
also the backspacing if you are running the stock a body rear axle width is going to be a custom order I dont know of any stock wheels that would work but maybe someone else does
I narrowed my axle while I was rebuilding it because you can use all of weld, centerline, or summit brand alum star wheels in standard offsets and they dont hit the outer fender lip with the bigger tires on them
the extra money that it cost to narrow the axle was offset by being able to purchase used standard wheels from ebay the standard offset summit 7 in wheels are only $100 new
I like to switch wheels and now I run rally wheels on the street with spacers
and when I go to the track or am going to rip on it I switch to the alum wheels with drag radials and no spacers and that also lets me run the new challenger/charger 18 in wheels for the ladies
hope that helps

yea that does help alot!

so i did some measuring on the wheel wells of my 68. i figured it is 4.25 inches fron the frame rail to the out side of the leaf spring and 14.25 from the frame rail to the outer lip. so that gives me a 10 wide opening. but for clearance in gonna stuff a 9" wide tire. as for hieght i think i can get a 27.5 or 28. then i put a straight edge down from the lit and measured to the flange and it was 5". meaning that the hub is dead center if the wheel well and that i would need like a 4.25 or 4.5 backspacing.

That`s the best way to figure tire size and backspacing with these cars. It`s a good idea to measure both sides too because in many cases the rear end is not perfectly centered.

American Racing has that vintage vibe that I like a lot, good choice! :-D

Any taller than 28" you are going to need to ther bring the rear back or cut the front wheel well. Or if you go realy tall mabby both. The best way to know what your car can fit rubber wise is to measure them. This is do to production tolerinces. Some cars can fit a 255 and some can't . Wont know till you look. Allso measure both sides as they can vwry as well. But with the right off set wheel I have seen guys get 255's under a Dart.

Roll the fender lip and off set the springs with around a 5 or 5.5 of set and I have seen guys get 275's under a Dart.

Good luck.

yea im planning on doin the inbord kit and a mini tub. and also spacing the alxe back 2 inches for clearance

When moving the axle back you also need to pay attention to how you are going to connect your shocks to the car. The original locations will not work.
with all the work im doing to the missile I would have shifted the axle back but it really screws the shock issue.
Andrew

When moving the axle back you also need to pay attention to how you are going to connect your shocks to the car. The original locations will not work.
with all the work im doing to the missile I would have shifted the axle back but it really screws the shock issue.
Andrew

even just to inches? i was planning on moving the mounts onto the axle so they were more stright up and down

if/when you move your axle back two inches, you might look to make sure the housing will clear your gas tank...

When loaded with a full tank, stuff in the trunk, people in the back seat and going over a speed bump.

And if this car is going to be raced at all, I would think you made it harder for the car to lift the front/ weight transfer.

if/when you move your axle back two inches, you might look to make sure the housing will clear your gas tank...

When loaded with a full tank, stuff in the trunk, people in the back seat and going over a speed bump.

And if this car is going to be raced at all, I would think you made it harder for the car to lift the front/ weight transfer.

very true on the weight transfere and clearance! i'll probably make a new tank out of aluminum or buy a cell. and also one of my friends has a demon with the axle back 2 inches with a slant and its an 11 sec car...

-
Back