Black Smoke

-

wazoo64

Reaction score
Brand new balanced 360 stroker with a 650 eddy and it blows black soot all over my garage floor when I start it up. Too rich? I don't know. We put smaller meetering rods in and that didn't help much. Engine runs well and responds well when I open the secondaries. Any thoughts? I hate the mess on the driveway and garage. By the way the pipes dump in front of the rearend. That's why the mess on the floor.

Make sure your float levels are set correctly. If they are too high, it will cause what you are describing. Once the float levels are set, you can start messing around with the intermediate and wide open throttle settings.

I wouldn't worry about it if it appears normal after reaching operating temperature. One of my other cars has a 440hp with a stock carb rebuilt by the Holley Speed Shop with the smallest jets it can run without melting the plugs due to the altitude here and it does the same thing. Runs like a raped ape, otherwise.

fwaugh said:
Brand new balanced 360 stroker with a 650 eddy and it blows black soot all over my garage floor when I start it up. Too rich? I don't know. We put smaller meetering rods in and that didn't help much. Engine runs well and responds well when I open the secondaries. Any thoughts? I hate the mess on the driveway and garage. By the way the pipes dump in front of the rearend. That's why the mess on the floor.

Smaller metering rods will give MORE fuel to the engine. You would need bigger metering rods. As mentioned check your float levels as the book says.

-
Back