Blacked out hoods?

-

NukeSec1

DUSTinguished
Reaction score
I really dig the blacked out hood look on the 70's Duster, but it's obvious that there are several variations out there as to how this is done. #1 Black out most of the hood (with whatever combination of scoop) all the way back to the windshield, but the outer left and right sides of the hood and windshield cowl remain the main body color. #2 Black out the entire hood (again, insert your choice of scoop) and windshield cowl and then continue with the black back behind and around the pop out window and all the way around the top of the driver/passenger windows and down the A pillar inside the drip rail. #3 Just paint the whole hood black with a scoop on it. Which to me looks like a turd in a punch bowl. (Not trying to offend anyone if that is the configuration you have on your car. It just doesn't look right to me.) Since I was in diapers in the 70's and couldn't see it first hand.....was this ever done on the Duster from the factory in any configuration? Or is it more an interpretation of other Mopar cars that had blacked out body panels from enthusiasts that thought "This would look badazz on my Duster!"?

I think this should answer your question...

1971_plymouth_duster_340.JPG

71duster.jpg

I had a new Duster 340 4 spd in 1970, the hood, cowl, and under ths windows and around the drip rail was all flat black. I have recently finished another 70 Duster exactally like my first one except this one has alot more motor. now the clincher, on this one I sprayed all the flat black areas with Rustoleum spray on bed liner. It has a little texture to it and looks really nice. I have had many good coments about it and not one negative one. Hope this helps, Beauty lies in the eyes of the beholder, make yourself happy and do what makes you smile.STEVE

Damn never mind. Just do a google image search for "Plymouth Duster 340".

EDIT: DUSTERDOWNS just read your post, that bedliner sounds like a good functional mod I might try... lots of gravel here in Colorado to scratch up hoods and grilles.

-
Back