blasting-welding-priming

-

Stone Runner

Reaction score
I plan on blasting, panel replacement etc.. to a 72 duster. This is my first project and will take some time to replace metal.

What is the best way to protect from rust after I blast it and while the metal work is in progress over months?

I am a little confused by the options, epoxy primer, some type of sealer etc... or leave it bare and sand off the flash rust?

Central Montana is usually low humidity but this will be over winter.

Thanks in advance.

i sugest go to your local painter supply and explain to them what your plans are and they can show you whats best in house and whats not going to break the bank

I would use epoxy primer. You can use body filler over it so no need to sand off the primer. In no way would I leave it bare.
just my .02 worth.

we've had bare metal on ours since november... a few spots with minor surface rust where we dripped sweat all over it but that's it. So long as it's indoors you're probably fine.

Should the metal be sealed before priming? I have read of some type of phoshoric acid prep (ospho phos?) but not sure what is does exactly.

I used chromic acid and allidon sp? (aluminum conditioner) before painting aluminum boats.

Would it be beneficial to shoot por 15 into hard to reach areas?

thanks for the help

I metal prep it then i use D.P 40 (PPG) epoxy. DP40 is the only epoxy that you can put any type of filler or 2 stage spot putty over
If you need more info PM me.

Blast it then epoxy it, the blasting will give the surface the texture for the primer (no need for sandpaper). Scuff and do body work as needed. My brother uses R-M EP789 epoxy.

The primer is really just to protect the difficult areas to sand.....little nooks/crannies. You can knock of any light surface rust off the larger areas if needed.

I recommend using Picklex 20 or Purple Power De-Ruster Metal Conditioner/Rust Preventer

http://shop.advanceautoparts.com/we...ALUE3-_-VALUE4&ci_src=14110944&ci_sku=7100013

treat any bare metal while working on the car,it makes welding so much nicer with alot less spatter ,apply it over welds and later when you're ready for bodywork, just roughen it up and go. I've been using it for a while and love it, you can pick up Purple Power De-Ruster at Advance Auto Parts for around $6 a bottle, Picklex is alot more expensive

-
Back