block fill prep

-

Kidd

Reaction score
Hello, This is the first time ever doing some block fill. I am putting in white vinager as was recomended to me by a racer....how long does it need to sit in the block?
I plan to nuetralise it with baking soda and then dry it out.....anyone else do this? I am only doing a partial fill, so I can keep water in it.Thanks.

on a big block mopar I would pore muratic acid (you need about 3 gals total)in one side. the deck surface being level. let it set and eat the scale off while you have a beer. dump the stuff out and wash out with water. turn motor over and do other side. sit it out in the sun to dry, a fan on it will help. mix "hardblock" and dump into one side of block. while doing this tap block on side with hammer lightly. fill up to the bottom off bottom water pump hole in the front of the block. let set up for a day then do other side. freeze plugs and drain plugs need to be in.

I've never done this either.I just used muratic acid in a motorcycle gas tank and washed out with water and baking soda to neutralize the acid.My question is. Do heads or torque plates need to be installed before filling block with filler. I will be filling a 340 block.

I've never done this either.I just used muratic acid in a motorcycle gas tank and washed out with water and baking soda to neutralize the acid.My question is. Do heads or torque plates need to be installed before filling block with filler. I will be filling a 340 block.

I 3/4 filled Lisa's 360 block and no you do not need the heads or torque plate on it at the time of filling. Filling should be done before you take it to the machine shop for machining.

Muriatic acid and then rinse it out with water...It is the only way to do it...If there is even any dirt/debris in those water jackets, the block fill will NOT stick.

You can get muriatic acid at any hardware store...Just wear gloves, use it in a well ventilated area (and somewhere where you don't care if the ground changes color) and then rinse it all out real well after a few minutes

Thanks!! We decided to leave the vinigar in over the weekend. It definatly made the scale softer in just a matter of an hour. Monday will clean it out and run it thru a hot tank agian if needed. Then block fill. A buddy who did his last year said to let it set a week or 2 before machine like was suggested. If its not clean to my satisfaction, will get the muratic acid. Thanks!!

-
Back