block hugger headers or manifolds

-

jeffs360duster

Reaction score
hey i got a 74 duster with a 360 i have some hooker headers but they do not fit because it was a slant 6 car so i was thinking that i want to put on some of the summit shorty headers but i dont know if they are worth it. right now i have maifolds on i wold like the header look but i dont care about the power

Go with Doug's headers, TTI's, or stock-type manifolds. Anything else will be a pain to install and hang too low. Just clean up your manifolds and paint them a nice Engine Enamel color like natural cast iron; it won't have the "glitz" of headers but will still look nice and clean.

go with dougs! there pricey but by far worth it! there very sharp lookn and the protective covering they put on them does last! also their easy to hook full exshaust too!

Jeff, I don't know if you'll find a set of block hugger type headers that will fit your engine / chasis combo. The collectors on the block huggers dump almost directly on top of your steering box, so there's no room to attach your exhaust head pipes. Hope this helps.

i figuared that the block huggers would dump abouth in the same as the manifolds. i just have never seen a set on a small block a body, so thanks for the info

i figuared that the block huggers would dump abouth in the same as the manifolds. i just have never seen a set on a small block a body, so thanks for the info

jeffs360duster,
I had a set of headman shorty's part# HED-78500, on my 73 360 duster and they cleared everything, course I have a manual steering box so I don't know how they would fit with a power steering box if thats what you have.

I have a set of the block hugger headers laying around ,out of curiosity I tried them to see if they would fit an A-body engine bay . The passenger side fit great I don't think there would have been any issues. However the drivers side is a completely different story all the tubes are bundled right where the steering box is and they dump out right on top of the starter .
No way to route the exhaust sorry ...I couldn't even get them in to take a pic .You can imagine how close all four tubes would be to the steering box in the 2nd photo.
By the way The shorty headers I have are made by patriot.

susp.rebuild,headers & exhaust 022.JPG

susp.rebuild,headers & exhaust 046.JPG

If you look on a stock small-block A-body the driver side exhaust manifold comes up and away from the head, and dumps at the back, unlike the passenger side which dumps in the center.

well i have a set that must have come off a diffreant car. and the drivers side dumps in the middle just like the pass side. that is why i thought that block huggers would fit so does anyone have pic of block huggers on a 74 duster with a 360 i have manual steering. drp2671 you have block hugger can i mabey get some pic

thanks jeff

Jeff,
I have since take those headers off my car and put them in my truck, I don't have any pictures specifically of the headers in the car unfortunately, I do know they fit in my car though....

the fact that your car was a slant 6 has nothing to do with your headers not fitting,,,what type of motor mounts are you using ?? are they old and saggging?? that changes things making them not fit,,,

the early A body guys have tons of header issues,,there is a guy that builds block hugger type headers that fit the early A bodys,,and im sure they will fit your 74,,and they are not over priced,,ask around they are called spit fires, there is usually a waiting period as this guy builds them several sets at a time from what i have read on this site,,

also,,you may ask around i think a set of dodge ram or dakota magnum exhaust manifolds would work on any A body,,i have not tried them but the look to me like they would fit,,they both dump out in the rear ,,ask around on this topic also,, just my 2 cents hope this helps

yes they are long tubes ,but hug the block,and dump out at cross member to me that would be easier for full exh. just my to cents! 65 barracuda

well i have the schumacher moter mounts they are brand new so that wouldnt be an issue. well the headers that i got were for a 72 duster that i have with is a slant 6 swap to, i had the same engin and the headers fit that car but i know that the moter mounts are diffent. i used the schumacher moter mounts on that car and did not have a issue whith the headers

-
Back