Block Numbers for 64

-

64CudaDude

Reaction score
New member here. Probably some easily answered questions. Can it be determined if the engine is the original unit from just the stamped numbers on the block? I should have grabbed the casting numbers instead of the stamped numbers.

64, V8, 4 speed

Thanks!
64CD...

IMG_4597.JPG

To the best of my knowledge there is no way to lint a block to a car pre '68. The best you can do is check the date cast into the side of the block to ensure it is before the cars production date. The very fact that the engine pictured has stamped numbers tells me it is post 68 and not original to your car. I am sure others will chime in.....

Yep, Dave is right! Prior to 68, the casting date is the only way to date a block, except for the pad below the drivers side head in front, which will tell you the assembly date, the displacement, and the model year of the block in alphabetic code! If there is no alphabetic stamp and it's an LA motor, it is a 64 273, an "A" would indicate 1965, a "B" would be 66 and a "C" would be 67. After that, the vin started showing up on the bottom rail of the block on the passenger side, right above the oil pan rail!!

Yep, Dave is right! Prior to 68, the casting date is the only way to date a block, except for the pad below the drivers side head in front, which will tell you the assembly date, the displacement, and the model year of the block in alphabetic code! If there is no alphabetic stamp and it's an LA motor, it is a 64 273, an "A" would indicate 1965, a "B" would be 66 and a "C" would be 67. After that, the vin started showing up on the bottom rail of the block on the passenger side, right above the oil pan rail!!

The help is much appreciated but I'm a little confused. The picture shown is of the driver's side front of the block just below the head. Does that mean it is post 68?
The best I can make out from the stampings, there is a top row that is stamped 1318R 28000567 and a bottom row that is stamped -34D. Thanks!
64CD...

My 65 Barracuda is stamped 7-65, the engine is stamped 6-65... only way to tell if its numbers matching before 68. the numbers are layed out diffently as well

-
Back