blow proof bell housing question

-

redlightrich1

Reaction score
Hello all, when installing my trans with the stock bell housing, I have pushed the throw out bearing clips off the fork. No problem as I can reach up thru the inspection opening and get it back on. I am in the midst of a tranny and motor rebuild. I am building this 340 to rev, so I may want a blow proof housing. How would my above problem be addressed with one installed? Please forgive my ignorance as I never owned a blow proof. Also, any opinions on if I shouldn't go this way. Even though my motor will make power to over 6k rpm, I don't always drive very aggressive. I will occasionally, but more than not I take it fairly easy. Any input would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Rich

The part you are talking about is called a scatter sheild, the stock bellhousing will handle anything a good 340 can throw at it. i an going a 5speed swap with a 408- 500 hp 530tqusing a stock housing. a scatter sheild will cost you $500 look at "quicktime sheilds."
O72D

IMO, it is always a good idea to run a scattershield with any high performance engine...I agree with using a quicktime...

a good 340 can rev to 7500.
combine that with a stock flywheel and you have good chance of catastrophic event with stock bellhousing.
No way would I use a stock bell with anything that has the potential to rpm.
a billet flywheel and scattershield and let it fly.
sleep easy. $$$$$$ foget about it.

Better do a "scattershield" search. I'm headed towards one myself and Quicktime AIN'T the way to go......at least that's what I'm learning.

Hey IronMike, why are you finding that? I am new to this and they all seem to be around 5-600. To me, once I commit to buy, then I want the best I can get. The difference in price is usually not enough to pass the best.
Thanks for the help, I need it!

Probably the easiest way to make sure you don't push off the clips during installation would be to install the engine/bell/trans as a unit.

-
Back