blown 440 Alky swap, how much will it cost?

-

Jimmy

74 Swinger
Reaction score
Ok I have a 74 dart, it has a 318 that I have been building with the idea of adding a turbo so it has 360 heads, Mighty Demon BT carb, air gap, 150hp nitrous, Mallory pump and boost ref reg, msd ignition/coil/dist/mini starter, intercooler, T6 Garret turbo, nicely rebuilt 904 with 3000 stall, 8 1/4 with 3.9 gears, the only things I'm missing are the turbo manifolds which are gonna cost about $1000, BOV and waste gate $600, catch can, timer and gauges $400 So $2000 but I just found out one of the heads is cracked so with new heads that brings the total to $3000 to finish (before roll cage, and whatever else the car gods decide I should buy). Now on the other hand I found a blown (supercharged not wrecked) alky 440 from a mud racer with 1500hp for $3000 manifold to pan. so still need a blower ($1200 give or take but I figure that would be what I would get for my sb bolt ons) now the question is would it be worth it? What else will I have to do? Will I have to scrap my 8 1/4? Will I need to install a tubular chassis? if I just put a 440 manifold and carb on and convert it back to gas would I still need to do much? Sorry if that's not enough info, I feel like I'm babbling so if there is more info needed to help me out let me know.

Ok I have a 74 dart, it has a 318 that I have been building with the idea of adding a turbo so it has 360 heads, Mighty Demon BT carb, air gap, 150hp nitrous, Mallory pump and boost ref reg, msd ignition/coil/dist/mini starter, intercooler, T6 Garret turbo, nicely rebuilt 904 with 3000 stall, 8 1/4 with 3.9 gears, the only things I'm missing are the turbo manifolds which are gonna cost about $1000, BOV and waste gate $600, catch can, timer and gauges $400 So $2000 but I just found out one of the heads is cracked so with new heads that brings the total to $3000 to finish (before roll cage, and whatever else the car gods decide I should buy). Now on the other hand I found a blown (supercharged not wrecked) alky 440 from a mud racer with 1500hp for $3000 manifold to pan. so still need a blower ($1200 give or take but I figure that would be what I would get for my sb bolt ons) now the question is would it be worth it? What else will I have to do? Will I have to scrap my 904 and 8 1/4? Will I need to install a tubular chassis? if I just put a 440 manifold and carb on and convert it back to gas would I still need to do much? Sorry if that's not enough info, I feel like I'm babbling so if there is more info needed to help me out let me know.

well alky motors are anywhere from 15:1 to 17:1 depending on how much boost they are running...

I'm really thinking I would convert back to gas, I can't afford a new blower plus all the modifications I would need to make to handle that kind of power, I figure it would be more like 700hp with a 8 point cage capable of low 10's. will my 8 1/4 have to go? if so what are my best options? I have a full float Dana 60 4.1 but it still needs narrowing, axles, brakes so I wasn't inna hurry to get on that and it would probably be easier just to find a nicely built 8 3/4. I really don't want to scrap the 904, I put a lot of cash into it.

OK lets make it simple
1. 318 to 440 what do I need to change? TC,Transmission, mounts, rear end
2 .I can throw 3k at the 318 and be done with it at about 600hp or I can throw 3k at a can of worms and have up to 1500hp but how much more will it cost?

the only way (depending on static compression)to make the alky motor run on pump gas is to change pistons... so then your bacisally doing a rebuild on it...

i say pass...

the only way (depending on static compression)to make the alky motor run on pump gas is to change pistons... so then your bacisally doing a rebuild on it...

i say pass...
X2 alky motor sounds cool but not practicle, and it sounds like you have almost everything you need for the small block. and what do you mean "one of the 360 heads are cracked" and that will cost you another $1000.00??

X2 alky motor sounds cool but not practicle, and it sounds like you have almost everything you need for the small block. and what do you mean "one of the 360 heads are cracked" and that will cost you another $1000.00??
If your dumping another grand into heads, I hope you mean aftermarlet. I say pass on the alky engine, do the turbo small block

Either route is a major undertaking that will require mad skills. From your rear end question I have to ask if you are up to tackling this aggresive of a project. It may have a final cost of multiple thousands.

ya Im over it, dollar to hp was exciting, but it was the first time I have even looked at a BB and no, I'm not up for it.
I'm in Canada, everything costs $1000. And yes if I'm dropping money on heads it would be aftermarket or at least some really well built stock ones, so replacing one means replacing 2. With shipping/duty/tax/inspection fee a decent pair of heads to Canada would be minimum $1700 the other option is junkyard crap, I have 4 of those paper weights already. I read somewhere that the carb was all you needed to change for alky, so that's why I asked, actually that was the point of the post, to showcase my ignorance and be set straight so I didn't make a huge costly mistake, so thanks everyone. I found a nice 5.9 magnum with trans complete for cheap so I say fudge it, go injected, easier to set up the turbo anyway. Anyone want some LA bolt ons?

ya Im over it, dollar to hp was exciting, but it was the first time I have even looked at a BB and no, I'm not up for it.
I'm in Canada, everything costs $1000. And yes if I'm dropping money on heads it would be aftermarket or at least some really well built stock ones, so replacing one means replacing 2. With shipping/duty/tax/inspection fee a decent pair of heads to Canada would be minimum $1700 the other option is junkyard crap, I have 4 of those paper weights already. I read somewhere that the carb was all you needed to change for alky, so that's why I asked, actually that was the point of the post, to showcase my ignorance and be set straight so I didn't make a huge costly mistake, so thanks everyone. I found a nice 5.9 magnum with trans complete for cheap so I say fudge it, go injected, easier to set up the turbo anyway. Anyone want some LA bolt ons?
If you are giving them away, give them to a young gun in your area or as close as they can get. It's all part of the SaCPaR Program: Save a Classic, Prevent a Ricer :toothy10: lol

go to pull a part and find a set of 318 magnum heads they will preform as good as a set of $1700 heads and are about $1500 cheaper, have them rebuilt and call it good, I'm from canada too and things cost more on the east coast, your closer to the US border things should be easy for you:wack:

I think by the time you get that so called $3000, 1500 hp engine sorted out and a chassis and drive-train installed that will take it, you will be looking at well over $40,000.

Ya the whole 1994 5.9 Magnum with trans is $500 so even if I just pillage the heads not too bad. Big blocks are more hassle than they are worth, in my budget range anyway.

I think by the time you get that so called $3000, 1500 hp engine sorted out and a chassis and drive-train installed that will take it, you will be looking at well over $40,000.

no kidding... backhalf, D60, monster 727, yadda yadda...

Ya the whole 1994 5.9 Magnum with trans is $500 so even if I just pillage the heads not too bad. Big blocks are more hassle than they are worth, in my budget range anyway.

and no a big block isn't out of anybodies price range... my boss built a 11.45 dart with a 440, bowl blended 452 heads with 10.5:1 comp, stock rods and forged crank, MP509 cam...

you just need to figure out what you want becasue it doesn't seem like you know... figure it out before buying more "paper weights" and get a plan...

I just knew I didn't want to throw more money at the 318, the alky was attractive but I knew it would be a lot more work. I knew what I wanted, just looked into something new for a second, my worst fears confirmed and added to, so I'm over it. Again thanks all, found a 360 long block bored .30 over 10.5 compression, 170/180 across all cylinders for what I was planning on spending on heads so I can keep what I have and stay on the same track with the turbo.

I just knew I didn't want to throw more money at the 318, the alky was attractive but I knew it would be a lot more work. I knew what I wanted, just looked into something new for a second, my worst fears confirmed and added to, so I'm over it. Again thanks all, found a 360 long block bored .30 over 10.5 compression, 170/180 across all cylinders for what I was planning on spending on heads so I can keep what I have and stay on the same track with the turbo.

best be a real good engine for $1000! I would pay that for just a engine that you likely can't hear running :wack: must be from a salvage yard

-
Back