blown rear end

-

70dusta

Reaction score
i know its not an a- body but i blew my rear end in my 87 wrangler and i took off the cover and the spider gears haad missing teeth everywhere and i was wondering if any one knew if puttin em in needed any special tools or do they just replace one another and is it possible to do it with the rear end still in the car
thanks alot

70dusta said:
i know its not an a- body but i blew my rear end in my 87 wrangler and i took off the cover and the spider gears haad missing teeth everywhere and i was wondering if any one knew if puttin em in needed any special tools or do they just replace one another and is it possible to do it with the rear end still in the car
thanks alot

Let's be clear about this, you got teeth floating around in your rear end and you're considering doing a less than complete overhaul. I recommend that the rear end be completely disassembled, including pulling the axles, and flushed to make sure you got all the teeth out. I'm guessing that the rear is a Dana but either way unless you have a car lift it's probably easier to pull the entire rear and do the teardown on the floor. Then at some point in time you'll want to figure out why this happened. I'm guessing one tire in the mud the other on dry pavement and the foot in the carb. When it comes time to putting this rear back together you really need to find a reputable shop, no magic just some special measuring tools required and experience. Have fun. :burnout:

-
Back