Blue Mutt Strikes Aagain - Suspension Woes - Need Help

-

billsdartgt

FABO Gold Member
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
The Blue Mutt had another surprise for me again, this time with bushing for the rear leaf's. I am moving the leaf's back to the stock position, simple enough - NOOOOOOOOOOOO! I recently bough some parts from a few members here, the front hanger brackets I got were mismatched and also neither one would accept the 5/8" bolt that my springs have. The next issue, the rear leaf bushing is 1", the hanger bracket is 7/8", simple enough, I ordered both sizes, my shackle bolts will not fit in the 7/8" bushing. UGGGGGGGGGGGG! I have ended up with a few items I most likely can't use due to my ignorance of the many different pieces and parts the Blue Mutt has as part of its identity.

Here what I have:

Rear leafs, haven't measure the length but the driver side has 9 leafs, passenger side has 8, they are 2 1/2" wide.

Front bushing is 1 1/2" using a 5/8" hole - bought Prothane kit 4-1017 it includes the 7/8" bushing which has an inside hole diameter of 1/2"

rear bushing is 1" - bought Prothane kit 4-802 - inside hole diameter 9/16"

Front hanger bracket - Mancini racing (nice piece), 2 position uses 5/8" bolt.

Rear hanger bracket - FABO member part - uses 7/8" bushing (part was cleaned and primed ready for some paint.

Rear shackles - bolt size is 9/16"

Has anybody else dealt with this clusterf##k of a combo? Is there a set of bushings or a set of shackles that can be used for my rear setup? Most info I can find does not list the inside diameter on bushings, nor can I find if there are shackles with two different size bolts. I had hopes of being able to get the winter upgrades done in a reasonable time, with me still in removal stage of old parts and new mystery issues I feel a setback coming on. Any guidance or direction is appreciated.

Another thing, if anybody has an extra bag or two of used 20s I would be glad to have one

The Blue Mutt had another surprise for me again, this time with bushing for the rear leaf's. I am moving the leaf's back to the stock position, simple enough - NOOOOOOOOOOOO! I recently bough some parts from a few members here, the front hanger brackets I got were mismatched and also neither one would accept the 5/8" bolt that my springs have. The next issue, the rear leaf bushing is 1", the hanger bracket is 7/8", simple enough, I ordered both sizes, my shackle bolts will not fit in the 7/8" bushing. UGGGGGGGGGGGG! I have ended up with a few items I most likely can't use due to my ignorance of the many different pieces and parts the Blue Mutt has as part of its identity.

Here what I have:

Rear leafs, haven't measure the length but the driver side has 9 leafs, passenger side has 8, they are 2 1/2" wide.

Front bushing is 1 1/2" using a 5/8" hole - bought Prothane kit 4-1017 it includes the 7/8" bushing which has an inside hole diameter of 1/2"

Rear hanger bracket - FABO member part - uses 7/8" bushing (part was cleaned and primed ready for some paint.

Has anybody else dealt with this clusterf##k of a combo? Is there a set of bushings or a set of shackles that can be used for my rear setup? Most info I can find does not list the inside diameter on bushings, nor can I find if there are shackles with two different size bolts. I had hopes of being able to get the winter upgrades done in a reasonable time, with me still in removal stage of old parts and new mystery issues I feel a setback coming on. Any guidance or direction is appreciated.

Another thing, if anybody has an extra bag or two of used 20s I would be glad to have one
I would just get a complete rear suspension kit from a quality supplier and make everything the same.

Here what I have:

Been through something like this with my 1973 Dodge Demon.

I ended up making my own front bushings for the springs and I forget what I had to do for the rear hangers.

Everyone I contacted said I was crazy, can't read a micrometer...all that. So I just made my own stuff and made it fit.

Im going to note everything I have and try to talk with somebody at Mancini or Dr Diff, don't really want to throw out everything I have and start over right now, would like to stop the cashflow bleeding at some point

@ YR, the rear hanger may be something to tweak, if I changed the tube inside the hanger to accept a 1" bushing that would seem to solve my issues, going to look at this option after talking to Mancini

Im going to note everything I have and try to talk with somebody at Mancini or Dr Diff, don't really want to throw out everything I have and start over right now, would like to stop the cashflow bleeding at some point

@ YR, the rear hanger may be something to tweak, if I changed the tube inside the hanger to accept a 1" bushing that would seem to solve my issues, going to look at this option after talking to Mancini
maybe, but keep in mind, sometimes the best way to stop the bleeding is to cut the entire thing off...

Talked with Wes at Mancini, he told me that he didn't know of anything I could buy off the shelf that will work for me, also said based on my description of my current springs their probably from a B body. The only option appears to be to modify the rear hanger or get new springs.

-
Back