Blue Sky Hemi Duster Build

-
I haven't check in for a while and I want to bring you guys up to speed. Please forgive the lack of photos, as I've been pretty busy working on the Duster and not documenting things as much as I like.

The Power Tour starts in a week and a half and I'm pretty confident I'll have it buttoned up and ready to go in time. The car runs and drives but I'm currently battling an issue with the transmission. It shows no interest in getting out of first gear! I'm fairly certain the issue is one of these three things: speed sensors, shifter linkage or fluid level. I aim to get this figured out in the next couple days. Then it'll just be a matter of installing the interior and the front bumper, grill, etc. Then the Duster will get a nice bath.

My buddy Jim, who will be riding/driving with me on the tour came to town a while back to wire up the car. He put in two ten hour days of kicking *** and the car is electrically sound.

Dashwires-1024x681.jpg

JimAction-1024x681.jpg

Thanks Jim!

I may not have much time to give another update before we head out. But fear not! I'll get you caught up on the later elements of the project upon my return.

Thanks for taking an interest in my Hemi Duster project!

The Duster was done enough to make the Power Tour.

20130601-071535.jpg

Getting ready to roll out.

20130601-171303.jpg

Arrived in Arlington, TX.

20130602-1111331.jpg

Stopped at Queen Donuts in Terrell, TX.

20130602-185834.jpg

The Duster caught the eye of one of the Hot Rod guys. Apparently it will have a "Car of the Day" video blurb on the Hot Rod site.

20130603-133140.jpg

Hanging out in Little Rock, AR. Note: I didn't get the AC charged in time but we found a shop in Little Rock and they got it going.

20130604-092142.jpg

Another stop for Donuts at Shipley's in or around Little Rock.

20130604-144230.jpg

A not so very impressive run at Memphis International Speedway. More driver skill, shock absorber adjustments, and maybe not so much luggage in the trunk could go a long way towards a better performance. Car 90, btw.

20130605-171838.jpg

Rain was an issue for much of the day in Birmingham, AL. Headed to the hotel early for food, drinks and rest.

20130606-1020481.jpg

Crazy man somewhere in Alabama.

20130606-123511.jpg

Lunch stop at the Cabbage Bowl in Alabama. We were approached by some folks asking if we were the guys in the "Burnout Girls" Youtube video. And we are. I'm pretty sure 300+ views makes it the most popular thing on the internet!

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SOlMJFKjJH0"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SOlMJFKjJH0[/ame]

20130606-152835.jpg

Arrived in Chattanooga, TN. The venue had these giant speed bumps on which I continually scraped the bottom of the Duster.

20130606-201055.jpg

The drive from Chattanooga to Concord, NC was a long one. Luckily my buddy Jim has family in Murphy, NC so we spend the night there. Good times.

20130607-160942.jpg

Made it to the ZMax Dragway in Concord to secure our official Long Hauler status with little drama! The Duster performed really well on the trip. We'd spend the night in Charlotte, NC, attend the Long Hauler ceremony and head back to Kansas City the next day.

20130608-171540.jpg

We saw Jared the Subway guy driving his nice BMW in Tennessee. The tags read "EATSUBS".

20130610-092424.jpg

We decided to pass on the subs for our last Donut stop in St. Louis, MO.

20130609-135831.jpg

The Duster build had twenty miles on the clock when we left.

That is awesome. :banghead: Worlds fair doughnuts is not too far from work. If I knew you were that close I would have made a trip to see it in person.

Just caught this thread wish I would have seen it earlier. But no time like the present to say nice car and glad to see you made the long haul.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=khfUSTK2dLE"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=khfUSTK2dLE[/ame]

Just some video from the trip. If anybody can tell me how to make the YouTube embed align left, please do.

Dang, where ever you live... Thats where I want to move. Its soo green and beautiful, and it actually rains! Are houses up there reasonable?

Awesome build and write-up, read the whole thing and watched the videos, looks like you had a blast!

I'm sure it beats being here during the summer (118+ degrees). It wouldn't take me long to adjust. Lol

Nice car and build...........you guys busted butt to get it ready for the tour.

Nice car and build...........you guys busted butt to get it ready for the tour.

Thanks! The last month or so of working on the car got pretty stressful. On the one hand I'm relieved it's over and I don't have to deal with the car every night. But on the other, I'm a little antsy. Maybe I should find another project...:drinkers:

-
Back