Blueprinting a carburetor

-

Dan the man

Reaction score
I was thinking about buying a used carburetor to help keep the building cost down. Is there anything to watch out for in buying a used carburetor? I figured that a rebuild would be a good idea so I thought that I would research on how to blueprint carburetors or if this is something that is even done. Since the pure stock drag racers have to run everything factory stock that maybe I could use some of their ideas when rebuilding the 360.

Look for worn throttle shafts and missing parts. Either can be overcome.

Two comments.
- as RRR, said check for worn T-shafts. Some brands are worse than others because of the junk metal used + low surface area. Carter 4bbls are very good.
- corrosion. From water or E fuel. It can get into passages that are very hard to access for cleaning. This could be a case of penny wise, pound foolish...

In all honesty you would be better served by finding an old Holley 650 or 750 list numbers 1-4 and get some one who knows what he is doing to restore it. You could send it to Woodruff who advertises here and supports the forum. There's a difference between the old stuff and the new stuff that's not really understood by even the carb educated and I'm not just talking about jetting and bleeds.

In all honesty you would be better served by finding an old Holley 650 or 750 list numbers 1-4 and get some one who knows what he is doing to restore it. You could send it to Woodruff who advertises here and supports the forum. There's a difference between the old stuff and the new stuff that's not really understood by even the carb educated and I'm not just talking about jetting and bleeds.
Well, I'm NOT an expert at much, BUT i do know, the newer ones are crappie, when it comes to working on em. And the metal Ain't the same..

The wife or the carb
:rolleyes:
Sorry I could not resist
Hey Brother, it Was NOT A SET UP for Humorous Stuff ( but I knew it would be, lol) yeah, she was like that. MENTAL ILLNESS... poor gal, I'm a Widower. But she passed after I was totally done. she did Steal and Wreck my 66 Satellite.. no I Did NOT do it..

This^^^^. You may just want to call Dana and see if he has what you need already on the shelf. It might be a one call and be done with it thing.

If you're getting a used carb, i'd want one that is less than 5 years old and ideally has been recently run.

The last one I bought came of a running drag car whose owner was unhappy with the ET and wanted a bigger carb. The carb was months old and bolted to his engine.

I have always had good luck buying an old Holley on Craigslist or Facebook and rebuilding it myself. Get a Holley brand kit the knock off's are crap.

I have almost never had a new carb in all my life. I won't have a Holley. I only run Carter or Rochester carbs. The most user friendly are Carter AVS or TQ and Rochester QJets. They all have adjustable secondary air valves so you can dial in how the secondaries come in without buying parts. The Carters are the easiest, especially the original Mopar carbs. Once set up, and they usually don't take much, you'll be done. Nothing wrong with AFB and the Edelbrock clones either.

-
Back